Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Histiography

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Histiography
    Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 17:16

Didn't know where to put it, so i put it here.

Noone can doubt that histiography is something important to study when becoming a historian.

Types of historians:
Structuralists
marxism
revisionists
denialists
political point of view
social/ecenomic
traditionalist
post-revisionist
____centric (e.g. eurocentric)

If there are other important ones, we could put them down too.
I was hoping that we could sort some of the well-known historians into some of the catagories. Or atleast fill in a few for each type?
"The league is alright when sparrows dispute but it can do little when eagles argue" -Mussolini
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 09:23
Can you give a description of these types? I read my first two works of Hisotriography recently - E.H. Carr's "what is history" and Walsh's "Livy - his historical aims and methods" very rewarding reads.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 16:07
I had to take historiography as a compulsory subject at uni, and boy did I hate it... learning the ideas and theories of a bunch of dusty dead Germans (mostly anyway)... eugh.

Still, it is a very important aspect of the study of history. Boring as I found it, it is true that one cannot become an historian without having a knowledge of historiography.

For those who wonder: Historiography is the history of the 'science' of histotry, a.k.a. the history of how history was written, how it was believed that history should be written, what the meaning/ purpose/ goal of history and historians was or should be, etc.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 17:19
Reinhardt Kosellecks "Vergangene Zukunft" / "Futures Past" is a personal favourite. Highly recomended! The development of historical thinking, specifically political history. Iirc he might go into a slot of his own as "concept history".

For history of science there is the old fogey, but classic, Arthur Lovejoy and his conception of a "history of ideas" as something about "unit ideas", eternal concepts. Heavily outdated but one of these classic must reads. One can follow it up with almost as classic Butterfield's "The Whig Interpretation of History".
And more recently there has been a bit of a row between Steven Shapin, grandmaster of the social history of science, and collegues like John Heilbron less happy about the whole "social constructivism" thing, specifically over the status of this thing called "The Scientific Revolution".

Otherwise these days Michel Foucault would seem the historians' philosopher par excellence. Kind of hard to pin him down in a little conceptual box though, which was very much the point of most of what he wrote.
One must not insult the future.
Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 20:37
John Tosh's The Pursuit of History is one of the most accessible books on the topic I have come across. Well worth a read.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
 Post Reply Post Reply