Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If you had to do...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you had to do...
    Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 19:46
a dissertation based around the field of women and crime , periods 1400 - 1800, would would you choose? I am in my dissertation year and I have been in so much of a dither on what to do it on, because there are so many interesting topics. I am thinking about doing about the witch craze in England during the early modern period, but I have also thought about doing it on women who commited petty treason (murdered their husbands.) or even on prostitution during the early modern period. In terms of gathering primary sources I think all of them would be okay . Advice or opinions appreciated! ThanksSmile
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 19:53
How about the 'womens-ships' that were part of a plan to provide the new colony in Australia with women? They saved up enough young healthy criminal women and then send them off to the strictly male inhabited new colony. Along the way, the women would turn the ship into a professional brothel (with the women who got hooked up with the captain and first mate at the head) and so make sure the rest of their voyage was as comfortable as thye could.

I once saw a documentary about it (on a quality channel... don't worry) and it was fascinating.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 08:52

Was it "The Floating Brothel" ???

If you are interested in convict women of Australia - look into the women from the "Lady Juliana" - that ship brought quite a lot of convict women to Australia.

Particular women would include: Mary Bryant (First Fleet 1788); Esther Abrahams ("Lady Penrhyn" c.1806) -Jewish girl and "first lady" of the colony; Margaret Catchpole (c.1801); Molly Morgan (c.1790); Mary Reiby ("Royal Admiral" 1792); Mary Wade ("Lady Juliana" c.1789).

Interestingly enough, many convict women actually "made good" in Australia and some became very successful businesswomen.

If you're interested .....
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
 Post Reply Post Reply