Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muhammad's family and Iranian political dynasties.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muhammad's family and Iranian political dynasties.
    Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 13:40
I am currently reading the history of the Arab peoples, and of Islam in general, in a book by Professor Albert Hourani. If i am not mistaken,a fraction of Shi'a Muslims, in the matter of the succesion of the Prophet, believe that the "Imam" must belong to the family of the Prophet. Thinking of it, we are actually talking about a dynasty, since what is a dynasty ? Rulling families. Of course the role of the Imam is not purely political, if not at all, but the concept is not very far away. Also, taking  under consideration, the fact the dynasties are the basic political model in Iran for thousands of years ( Achaemenids, Sassanids or Sassanians, Safavids, Qazars, Pahlavi ), can we suppose that one of the reasons why Iranians became mainly Shi'a , a process with depth of time, is because the idea of Muhammad's "dynasty" resembles the Iranian political dynasties?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 15:00

I like your line of thought regarding dynasties and such, but Iranians didn't decide to become Shii en masse just because it was more along the lines of what they were used to, or their rulers were used to. 

Although they existed in Iran from the beginning, Shiat Ali was just a minority, it was not until the Safavids decided to pledge the whole country, quite brutally, into Shiat Ali.  The reason was to completely differentiate from the sworn enemies of the Safavids, the Ottomans, so as to make populations, particularly peripheral, less susceptible to sympathise with the Ottomans, which many NW Kurds did, hence their deportation to Khorrasan in the 16th century.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2007 at 15:31
Well, i did not say that they became Shii on masse, that's why i used the "depth of time phrase". Smile

Thanks for the info.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply