Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Urban Archeology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urban Archeology
    Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 08:56
What if you know that there is an important archeological site at a place but there is a bustling city on top of it. What do you do. I have heard that it is possible to still excavate it. Anyone knows how.  
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 09:00
What? I just answered a guest question on this...and he was called Bilal and the question was phrased almost identically - What are you doing?

bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 09:13
Sorry sorry sorry. It appears that this section is quite busy and the question which i had just posted went quickly to the bottom so i thought that i may not have posted it and thought i did. Sorry my fault
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 09:21
Well anyway, I attempted to answer it in the link there..Hardly a full response though Smile
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 11:24
Depends really on whether you have state run archaeology or free market lead.

In a major city archaeologists know what finds they will make before they dig, and companies are required by law to let them perform archaeology on the site before the dig takes place. They are allotted a time period to complete this during the construction. Occaisionally they make a surprise major find is made, such as the Rose theatre in London. If you have state run archaeology like most European countries, Italy, France so on. The goverment will purchase the site from the developer and preserve as a national monument. If you live in a free market lead archaeology country, UK, US, Holland, so on. The archaeologists dig the site the best they can in the alloted time, concrete the find over to preserve it and the building construction goes ahead.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply