Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Shadow of the Vulture" by Robert E. Howa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Shadow of the Vulture" by Robert E. Howa
    Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 09:01

Pulp writer Robert E. Howard (1906-1936) is probably best known for his fantasy characters, especially of course Conan of Cimmeria--but he also wrote historical adventure.  One of his best short stories is "Shadow of the Vulture", which concerns the story of one Gottfried von Kalmbach, a former Knight of Rhodes who was ousted from the Order for some nameless offense.  Kalmbach finds himself contributing to the defense of Vienna in 1529, during the siege by Sulleyman the Magnificent.  Along with von Kalmbach is a fierce female swordsman, Red Sonya (who was the inspiration for the later fantasy Marvel Comics heroine, Red Sonja).  Red Sonya is sister to Roxelana, the Sultan's favorite wife.  The villain is Mikhail Oglu, "Vulture of the Grand Turk", who leads the Ottoman's akincis light cavalry.

A great tale, if you can track it down.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 23:51
I was really into Pulp writer Robert E. Howard when I was in Jr high and high school. I will have to check this book out-thanks!!
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 11:21

Originally posted by eaglecap

I was really into Pulp writer Robert E. Howard when I was in Jr high and high school. I will have to check this book out-thanks!!

IIRC, you should be able to find this story in the paperback collection, Shadows of Valor III--look for it at used book stores, online, etc.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
 Post Reply Post Reply