Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How reliable is the History Channel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How reliable is the History Channel?
    Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:24
I like Time Team, and the other archaeology type of programming where they make some attempt to find out what might have really happened.

I also like the series starring Peter Weller as the narrator talking about ancient civilizations - Engineering An Empire.  I never knew that Weller was himself a Renaissance scholar who studied in Florence.

I also enjoy the Underground series that goes beneath the cities of today, although the moderator sounds like he's hosting a kid's show with his endless repetitions of what everyone else says.

The military documentaries about the development of weapons, aircraft and so forth are also often interesting and informative, but don't get me started on those idiotic "Top Ten" programs.  Ouch

Edited by Mountain Man - 24-Aug-2012 at 19:25
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 20:17
Generally you should check over anything with actual sources.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 00:06
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Generally you should check over anything with actual sources.

I couldn't agree more, but how often do you have time to double check a TV channel.  I'm happy to just catch the big mistakes.  Smile
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 08:11
Lol it has ancient aliens on so I haven't ben watching.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 16:56

Lol it has ancient aliens on so I haven't ben watching.

Nothing wrong with ancient aliens, as long as you don't get carried away.  Haven't you read von Daniken?

Funny thing about UFO's and all the counter-culture: after Project Bluebook was disbanded, the Air Force stated that they had accounted for something like 85% of the reports of UFO's, but what they still could not explain were the remaining 15%, much of that reported by professionals such as radar operators and pilots, including military pilots.

One of the original group of astronauts reported a UFO sighting back to ground control.  Hard to imagine an astronaut being hysterical and seeing things, much less putting his rep on the line by voicing it officially.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Shakespeare

Do I believe in flying saucers and little gray men?  Nope.  Do I believe in the possibility?  Absolutely.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 17:03
I don't believe in their wacky theories but I believe in the general idea.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 19:01

I don't believe in their wacky theories but I believe in the general idea.

Agreed. Some of these people think that everything ever accomplished in human was done by aliens.  Of course, after visiting WalMart yesterday....Big smile
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 19:21
Lol XD. But yeah that show is a disgrace.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:49

Lol XD. But yeah that show is a disgrace.

What bother me about it the most is that the younger generation believes that what they see and hear on those shows is real history.  Ouch
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:51
Yepp. Well any stupid ones do lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123