Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Hannibal of Carthage Black

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Surmount View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Hannibal of Carthage Black
    Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 00:28
There is so much debate on this issue. Please somebody shed some light on this issue. He was located in what would be modern day Tunisia. But what were the ethnicities of these North African people Thousands of years ago. Please share your knowledge on this issue.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 01:56
He was of Phoenician descent and Phoenician's are VERY closely related to the modern day Lebanese, besides which "Blacks" were typicaly south of the sahara, the native Libyans and Numidians would be similar in appearence to modern day Berbers and Libyans which could be described as "swarthy" but not "black". Though the Phoenicians did not tend to mix with the locals certainly not aristocrats like the Barcids.

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 11-Aug-2007 at 01:57
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 02:09
Ah this thread again. No, Hannibal was likely East Med. in appearance, with a Semitic culture.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:34
East Med, meaning "mixed" i presume.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:40
Hannibal was a caucasian most likely with dark hair, eyes and skin. I would be surprised if he were a mix of negroid, australoid, mongoloid or other phenotypical categories.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:46
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Hannibal was a caucasian most likely with dark hair, eyes and skin. I would be surprised if he were a mix of negroid, australoid, mongoloid or other phenotypical categories.

But there is a strong possibility that he Was mixed with "negroid". And none of us can prove otherwise, since none of us ever went out on a date with him.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:50
Originally posted by Penelope

none of us ever went out on a date with him.

LOLShocked Really!

In my opinion, Hannibal was neither "black" nor "white". I am in agreeance with Constantine and Praetor et al, on the matter. Plus, regardless of his skin colour, he was a damn good general. And Constantine, by "phenotypical" you mean physical characteristics don't you (i.e the visible outcome of a genotype)?

Edited by Knights - 11-Aug-2007 at 03:51
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:54
There is little possibility of him bieng mixed with "Negroid" as Negroids did not live North of the Sahara in significant numbers. The native Africans of modern day Tunisia were not Negroids but as mentioned before most likely "swarthy" in appearence.

Regards, Praetor.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:58
Originally posted by Penelope

Originally posted by Constantine XI

But there is a strong possibility that he Was mixed with "negroid". And none of us can prove otherwise, since none of us ever went out on a date with him.

How many Lebanese do you see who look like they are mixed with negroid? There is a weak and distant possibility I think, but not a strong one. Hannibal would likely have been phenotypically similar to your modern day Lebanese.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 03:59
Originally posted by Knights

And Constantine, by "phenotypical" you mean physical characteristics don't you (i.e the visible outcome of a genotype)?

Spot on, Knights.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 04:06
It is not exactly true. Numids were by every accounts fairly dark if not pitch black and they lived in present day Algeria (kind of).

That being said, there is no evidence that Hamilcar's ancesters were  at least partly numids, it is even fairly unlikely.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 04:37
He might have been dark skinned for all we know, but it is very unlikely he was black.

BTW all these "blackness" questions should be in one thread not the dozen they are in now. A thread in the AE tavern maybe? If not in quarintine.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 10:49
Quarantine sounds a  fine place for such threads.

PS: Hannibal was black, his father was a Black Panther, and he rode on Rome to conquer the "White Devil."

Seriously such threads do not offer any validity nor point of discussion. It's absurd.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 11:01
There are plenty of threads on Hannibal in which this issue and many others were discussed.  Please use the search function and find one of them if you must discuss this.
 Post Reply Post Reply