Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wolves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolves
    Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 01:13
Wolves are beautiful animals. I have heard that they keep one partner through life, which I suppose is very unusual within animals most of whom mate with different pertners every season.
My question is, is it true that wolves keep one partner through their lives? If so why do they do this when other animals don't? Are there any other animals who do this?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 03:54
Nice topic Omshanti!
The word for keeping the same partner for life, in animals, is "monogamy". i.e If an animal keeps its partner for life it is said to be "monogamous".
Birds are the most numerous of monogamous animals, while mammals display this social behaviour in only a few species. I'll begin with wolves. Numerous types of wolves display monogamy, but I suppose you are referring to the general "Grey Wolf". In a pack, there is a dominant male and female, who are the only ones to breed. Thus, they partner for life and produce all the pack's offspring. Other canine examples include the Maned Wolf, Ethiopian Wolf, Jackals and Foxes even. Monogamy is a bit of an interesting concept, so to attain an understanding of why animals would go against natural "law" and aim to spread there genes around a population as much as possible - remaining loyal to one partner - one needs to distinguish the different levels of monogamy.
Monogamy can be referred to loosely as just being periodic, or only applying to the male, or the female. However, by the definition we are using, it refers to partnering for life.
Here is my idea on why the alpha male and female of a wolf pack are monogamous and are the only to produce young. The alpha male and female are in the position they are, because they are the most senior and matured pair. They are meant to have the fittest and strongest genes, most suitable for passing on to the next generation. Hence why these two partner for life.
Alpine Marmots are monogamous I'm pretty sure...Marmots are medium sized rodents. The alpha male and female are the only to produce litters in the group, and they go to pretty drastic extents to ensure this is the case. During estrus (when females are in heat/sexually active) the alpha female beats up the other females (her past offspring) in case they have mated with any males. This will kill the unborn offspring, especially after several weeks of bashing. Other than maintaining the gene pool, the alpha female does this because, during the deep winter hibernation, if too many offspring are snuggled up in the burrow, body heat is spread to sparsely among the tightly snuggled group, so they have a high chance of freezing to death. Anyway, I'm getting a bit off track from monogamy.
Other monogamous mammals include a few types of bats, beavers and otters, dikdiks (a tiny African antelope), titi monkeys, marmosets (and other New World - South/Latin American - monkeys), and lesser apes like Gibbons and Siamangs. Also, Indris (type of lemur) are monogamous, as well as other lemur species I'd imagine...
In the instance of birds, well, there are many monogamous species, such as the Albatross (eg. Wandering, Royal, Sooty.etc) and the Swan. In fact most passerines (loosely meaning "perching song birds") mate for life.
So there we go, monogamy, a very interesting social habit present in few mammals, but a large percentage of birds.

- Knights -
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 04:28
Do not foregt though, that in nearly every species that is known to be monogamous, especially birds, many individuals are known to commit adultery. So they may partner for life, but they might not spend their life raising the same partners offspring.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 04:34
Very true Aelfgifu. Cuckolding is rather common in the bird world. Also, we mustn't forget that rogue males are notorious for "raping" unprotected (and "in-a-relationship") females. 
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 09:11
Thank you so much knights (and Aelfgifu). Monogamy, a new English word added to my vocabulary. So it was true that wolves partner for life. It is so interesting that different species choose different ways of surviving and leaving their genes.
Regarding the adultery and etc... So much drama behind the scene. Just like humans.

I guess the fact that there is adultery shows that monogamy is not an instinctual/biological characteristic but rather a socio-cultural characteristic, a choice, made by or thrust upon every individual.
Very interesting indeed.

Edited by omshanti - 09-Aug-2007 at 09:30
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:22

Wolves work on a caste system I guess you can say, and in that system positions can be challenged. Sometimes the Alpha male may even choose another female to be the new Alpha Female.

If any female in the pack has pups outside the Alpha, I believed that are killed off.

Another interesting thing about wolves is they do simple math. They evolved with this ability in order to keep track of the members in the pack. Dogs seem to have lost this ability to do simple math.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply