Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woman gives birth to 17th child

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woman gives birth to 17th child
    Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 16:11
Forty-year-old Michelle Duggar from Tontitown, Arkansas (USA) gave birth to her 17th child (a girl) on August 2nd , 2007. Both mom and child are doing great. Michelle and her husband, Jim Bob (age 42), now have 10 boys and 7 girls in the family (including two sets of twins). The oldest is 19 years old and the youngest (before the recent newborn) is 2. They are planning to have more children in the future. All the names of their children begin with the letter J.
The newborn has been named Jennifer and joins siblings Joshua, 19; John David, 17; Janna, 17; Jill, 16; Jessa, 14; Jinger, 13; Joseph, 12; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 9; Jedidiah, 8; Jeremiah, 8; Jason 7; James 6; Justin, 4; Jackson, 3; Johannah, almost 2.

WOW, thats a lot of mouths to feed! Congratulations to them!

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_fe_st/17_kids

Duggar Family
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 16:53

How good for her. But it must be such a strain on her to have all those kids - I don't know how her and her husband can sustain them all!

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 00:17
Holy mother! She has been pregnant for 10.5 years of her life.
"Nothing on television tonight, darling." 
"Then what shall we do?"
"Need you ask?"
elenos
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 03:50
All i can say is WOOOOOW!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 03:56
Stern%20Smile I salute her.
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 05:39
They were on TV here in Japan a few times. The mother looks incredibly young and healthy despite the fact that she has given birth to so many children, while the whole family feels very happy and bright. They built their own house which is huge and has nine bathrooms. Their storage room looked like a super market.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 05:49
That husband must be earning a damn good wage. But hey, if they are doing a good job of supporting those kids then full credit to them, we need more like that in the developed world to keep birthrates at replacement level.

They must also be big on discipline. It's a credit to them to be able to keep that many children in order when some couples can't even make one or two clean up after themselves.
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 06:19
Originally posted by Constantine XI

That husband must be earning a damn good wage. But hey, if they are doing a good job of supporting those kids then full credit to them, we need more like that in the developed world to keep birthrates at replacement level.

They must also be big on discipline. It's a credit to them to be able to keep that many children in order when some couples can't even make one or two clean up after themselves.

In the UK it is the reverse, the mothers who have most chidren usually don't have a regular partner and live on council estates.  The mothers get more benefit money the more children they have, hence the poor have an incentive to many children.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 06:40
Originally posted by Patch

In the UK it is the reverse, the mothers who have most chidren usually don't have a regular partner and live on council estates.  The mothers get more benefit money the more children they have, hence the poor have an incentive to many children.

In Australia our welfare state is like Britain's in that respect, but I don't think the American welfare system goes to that same length. And yes, it is the poor who typically have the most children, though I think that has more to do with lifestyle choice or (lack of) family planning. Still, the poor breed where the wealthy are often too comfortable or too busy to alter their lifestyle to bring sufficient numbers of children into the world to keep the population at replacement level.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 06:56
I do not even want to know waht that might to to your pelvis muscles... I think this is a clear case of pregnancy addiction (it exists, it is much like sports-addiction: happy homones). Still, as long as they can take care of their kids properly I can only admire their devotion and apparemtly bottomless energy.

I do by the way think it is not essentially that much harder to keep a big family in line than a small one. Here in the Netherlands, having families of up to 7-10 children was quite normal for catholic families up to the 50ies and 60ies, and my parents have 5 and 6 siblings. In a family that big, the older kids help raising the smaller ones. There is a much larger 'social restraint' from doing wrong, and more supervision on kids by older siblings. It also teaches each member of the family that sharing is always a must, that attention is something you have to cherish but cannot demand, and that some things cannot be had and a no is a no. Which are some of the essentials of raising a child apparently.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 04-Aug-2007 at 06:58

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 07:08
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I do by the way think it is not essentially that much harder to keep a big family in line than a small one. Here in the Netherlands, having families of up to 7-10 children was quite normal for catholic families up to the 50ies and 60ies, and my parents have 5 and 6 siblings. In a family that big, the older kids help raising the smaller ones. There is a much larger 'social restraint' from doing wrong, and more supervision on kids by older siblings.

I'm going a bit off topic here, but I wanted to question whether we can still expect parents to raise their kids with the same ease as was once the case 50 years ago. Increasingly the chance of couples not staying together is greater. The removal of most unskilled or low skilled labour jobs overseas has put a burden on parents to educate their kids to a higher level so they can participate in the knowledge sector. Also, while giving your kids a good thrashing was once considered quite alright, these days I think people tend to be less tolerant of such an authoritarian style of parenting. I also think that kids these days are just a hell of a lot more expensive to satisfy in order to appear a part of popular culture.

I do agree about the siblings playing a part in raising the kids. Parents often put a lot more of their fervour into the first child(ren), then go easier on the following children. The result is usually the eldest children are especially aware of responsibility and the socially acceptable.

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

It also teaches each member of the family that sharing is always a must, that attention is something you have to cherish but cannot demand, and that some things cannot be had and a no is a no. Which are some of the essentials of raising a child apparently.

A lot of psychological research has concluded single children are a lot less likely to grasp concepts like sharing or understand how goodwill works. Though they seem to gravitate more towards their elders in social interaction. Unsurprisingly, eldest children of multiple child families are more likely to make effective leaders, younger children are most likely to have a good grasp of diplomacy.
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:08

Originally posted by Patch

In Australia our welfare state is like Britain's in that respect, but I don't think the American welfare system goes to that same length. And yes, it is the poor who typically have the most children, though I think that has more to do with lifestyle choice or (lack of) family planning. Still, the poor breed where the wealthy are often too comfortable or too busy to alter their lifestyle to bring sufficient numbers of children into the world to keep the population at replacement level.

The problem with the largest families being to those on benefit is the creation of a huge underclass where there can be several generations of a family going without ever having to work for a living, instead being brought up to live off benefit and crime.

You will end up with an ever larger underclass living off the taxes of an ever shrinking working class unless the benefit system is reformed.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:12

I remember an asyrian woman in Turkey who give birth to more than 40 child..(Dont ask me how she did it, I just saw it at a television.)

This woman need more working..LOL

Edited by Mortaza - 04-Aug-2007 at 11:13
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 20:04
I'm going a bit off topic here, but I wanted to question whether we can still expect parents to raise their kids with the same ease as was once the case 50 years ago.
Well even hard core fringe-like protestants in Canada and the US stopped having kids as much as they used to. In some small communities the average dropped from 11-12 per woman to 6-7. So if even them

Increasingly the chance of couples not staying together is greater.
It may affect the decision process of some, but if you trust your partner 100% (as in a highly religious and traditional family) it doesn't count.

The removal of most unskilled or low skilled labour jobs overseas has put a burden on parents to educate their kids to a higher level so they can participate in the knowledge sector.

That's true. Studies are more expensive and last longer (i.e. you have less kids and themselves start having kids later).

Also, while giving your kids a good thrashing was once considered quite alright, these days I think people tend to be less tolerant of such an authoritarian style of parenting.
True (the UE is about to ban spanking) but I don't see the point.

I also think that kids these days are just a hell of a lot more expensive to satisfy in order to appear a part of popular culture.
It is not true. Food represents in Europe a far lower portion of the average family budget, so basically you are spending the money you save on carrots on video games.
I am a free donkey!
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 20:52
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Also, while giving your kids a good thrashing was once considered quite alright, these days I think people tend to be less tolerant of such an authoritarian style of parenting.
True (the UE is about to ban spanking) but I don't see the point.

The reason I mentioned that was because that in order to enforce discipline in a larger family, there may be a greater need to resort to corporal punishment. Sitting each child down and reasoning with them individually is hard to do with more children.

Originally posted by Maharbbal

I also think that kids these days are just a hell of a lot more expensive to satisfy in order to appear a part of popular culture.
It is not true. Food represents in Europe a far lower portion of the average family budget, so basically you are spending the money you save on carrots on video games.

That's interesting, as food here has also decreased in real value prices. But I wonder whether a decrease in the real cost of food is equivilent to the increase in the real cost of childrens' material demands (e.g. video games, "cool" clothes and shoes, an allowance (I get the impression that more children used to do housework for this a couple of generations ago rather than peremptorily demand it is a right).) A lot of what children had back in the 50s and 60s looks like your standardised mass production clothing and toys, whereas today they seem to go for things which have a more exclusive (and expensive) flavour to them.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 07:52
Well, when my mother was a kid in a labourers family, cost of food was such that they had meat on 3 days a week. Nowadays most people consider a meal without meat incomplete (see the vegan thread). You can buy a kilo of inced meat for about half the money you pay for a kilo of carrots today, and carrots are not that expensive. And do not forget that in a family of 17, kids will learn pretty fast that there will not be a large amount of videogames coming towards them. They grow up expecting a lot less than your average single kid without siblings, and they grow up with more resposebility towards the family and a realistic idea on what to expect and what not.
Just because kids of today demand expensive toys does not mean they have to be humoured with them at every turn.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 21:34
wow, I think this couple are preparing to break the records.
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 12:44
reminds me of the beginning of Antz
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 09:50
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

reminds me of the beginning of Antz

It reminds me of how much patience and work it takes to raise so many children. They all seem to be very well-adjusted and organized within their environment. However, I wonder how they relate to their peers in their community and how actively they particiate in a setting outside the home. IMO, as they are all home schooled, that may be detrimental to their social development within a different environmental setting.

In any event, when you love children as much as this couple seems to, then having so many kids is a blessing for them.   
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
 Post Reply Post Reply