Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Working in Museums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working in Museums
    Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 12:15
Hello chaps!

I know that I may sound a tad enthusiastic for my age, but I'm just wondering what my options would be if I decided to go into Ancient history in an acedemic capacity.

I either want to work in a museum or teach in a university - I'm just wondering, what would be the requirements for either and what would my roles be in each (specifically)?

Regards,

/Aster
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 06:35
I'm kinda wondering that too, but wondering about a later era. Up in Inishowen where my dad grew up (Its the other end of the River Foyle, overlooking the city of Derry) there are a number of Marbello Towers built by the Brits during the Napoleonic wars which are being restored. I was wondering how do historians get involved in things like that? Its something I would definately be interested in (Something along them lines) I need to do something with my history degree after all!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 06:54
There'd be a bit of archaelogy and a bit of property development in that as well no doubt. But as I say, if you are motivated and interested enough, with a bit of luck u'll get doing what you want to do.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 07:20
Interest and motivation are important factors, but the general publics apathy towards history is distressing.

All you have to do is look at the way the government is handling the Hill of Tara to see how little they care about historic research or preserving our heritage.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 10:50
Before you work, watch the movie called "Night of the Museum".Wink

Join us.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Hello chaps!

I know that I may sound a tad enthusiastic for my age, but I'm just wondering what my options would be if I decided to go into Ancient history in an acedemic capacity.

I either want to work in a museum or teach in a university - I'm just wondering, what would be the requirements for either and what would my roles be in each (specifically)?

Regards,

/Aster

One way to improve your chances is learn a relevant foriegn language. Curators of sections need to be able to speak the native language of the collection they look after. To speak to people from museums in that country, to read academic papers and for cataloguing.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 15:24
Degrees are required too. I've decided in my old age to go for a master's in either Med. Archaeology or Forensic Anthro. I'm interested in Archaeology but apparently, from my recent class discussions, forensic anthropologists are in high demand and there's no prospect for that demand to decrease since, well, we keep killing each other off around the globe daily. Most archaeologists on the other hand are employed by government and private sector in Cultural Resource Management which in this country (US) is mandated by law.
I would suggest that you find what you'd like to do and go out and get a degree in it, if you already don't have one. The more you delve in your chosen field as an undergraduate the more you'll find out about it and the opportunities that it offers. then you can fine-tune your choices or get a master's in a particular aspect of your field.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 07:10
I'm not at uni yet, but ideally I'd like to do a joint honours 1st degree in ancient history/english literature, ancient history/archeology or ancient history/early middle ages history. Then to go on and do ancient history for a masters or pHD.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 08:01
I also suggest an internship at a local museum. It will be a rather wonderful experiance. I have actually had the opportunity to work at both the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry, and the African American Heritage Museum, as summer jobs, while i was still in middle school. It was extremely fun and enlightening, not to mention i was able to actually make good money.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 02:43
I thought that you had to be at least a post-grad to consider that. I doubt that the kind of museums that I'm interested in would want someone of my age around such artifacts.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 03:30

I thought that you had to be at least a post-grad to consider that. I doubt that the kind of museums that I'm interested in would want someone of my age around such artifacts.

Nope, the government simply had a summer job program for us teens, to help us, and to keep us from getting into any kind of trouble during our summer breaks. A very expensive budget as well. Which did lower crime in many places.

Edited by Penelope - 12-Aug-2007 at 03:32
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 03:52

I see - but there's one slight problem there - you're in America and I'm in Britain - the situation with museums could be different over here.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 04:07

I see - but there's one slight problem there - you're in America and I'm in Britain - the situation with museums could be different over here.

Yes, and also keep in mind that the summer program i told you about, has since been cancelled by the American government. So i was among the last kids to take part in such a thing. How sad.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 16:01

...But how did they let you? I mean, I thought that you would have to be a post-grad to do an intership - they don't want just anyone handling museum material

Post Reply Post Reply