Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

INteresting Topic about Ancient History..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mrhistoryguy23 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INteresting Topic about Ancient History..
    Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 01:31
I was reading about the Mongol Empire and I was shocked at how much it spread out. It was the largest continuous land empire throughout history. My attention then was caught by the silk road. If any of you know about Ancient Asian history, my question is in what ways did the Mongol empire influence this silk road.., how was it such a huge impact? how did they participate in this important trade route... I know that the fall of the silk road was when the Mongol Empire fell too so there was a connection there...

Please let me know what you think...
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 01:56
I think this belongs in Central Asia subforum.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 17:53
oh ooops..., the thing is that, this is more of an opinionated topic.., most of the people that respond in those forums just blow facts at your face and never have their own perspective about things , you get me?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 18:17

You are now in one of "those" forums (thread moved). What was it you wanted? Oh right, opinions.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 18:18
oh ooops..., the thing is that, this is more of an opinionated topic.., most of the people that respond in those forums just blow facts at your face and never have their own perspective about things , you get me?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 19:18
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 20:09
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mrhistoryguy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 20:23
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 20:36
I get you, I get you, I get you, I get you!
elenos
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 21:00

Ehh! Just another spammer that Mrhistoryguy23.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 14:51
If Mrhistoryguy23 is serious about the subject, then, he needs to bare in mind the following:

The Silk Road had been in existence since the 2nd century BC.  Since then, regardless of what empire or regime was in power over whatever part of the Silk Road, the Silk Road was maintained.  It is therefore not purely political factors which brought to an end its usage but rather rather religious ones as well.   After the demise of the regime of the Great Khan in China the Silk Road continued to be in use until the conversion of the Mongol regime in Persia (the Il-Khans) to Islam.  From then on, Europeans were either barred from its usage or were no longer protected on both land and sea.  The Eurasian route became fragmented by various rival hordes, and the sea-route was under the power of the new Perso-Mongol regime.  Goods could continue to be purchased from the Far East but from local Muslim markets such as those of Egypt but at a 300 percent markup, hence not being profitable. 

But while the Silk Road was now closed to Westerners, it was still open to Muslims, who travelled through it quite freely.  There was even a story of one man who had a friend in north Africa.......and met him in China!!!   The last great ruler to have control over the route, Tamerlane could only hold it until his death.  From then on it was dangerous even for Muslims to traverse, despite the fact that much of the trade route was Islamized.  Other rival Mongol hordes, had converted to a militant Buddhism and were a constant danger to travellers.  The real end of the use of the Silk Road as a viable route ended after the death of Tamerlane.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 20:59
Why religions would even consider cutting off trade routes goes beyond me. If they wanted to spread the good word (whatever that was) surely they would have allowed the international passage of goods to show how educated  and understanding their god could be.
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply