Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diana; The People's Princess remembered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diana; The People's Princess remembered
    Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 19:16
I would be delighted to take up the question with you privately, Aster, and start another thread. I don't think we should agree to disagree when there is so much more to this thing. As for poor Diana, may she rest in peace, somebody put duct tape over my mouth for it's a super hot topic. Now we have the journalist in the white car theory. I picked that one up years ago and say it was Dodi's father that had him shot. However I had better stop now. Forgive us all Queen Cleopatra for intruding on your memorial thread.
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 14:44
I can completely understand how Diana was and is still seen to be both iconic and well liked by many. She had an accessibility and a warmth that most royals do not possess. She did make a large contribution to charities and made many visits to the sick etc. But I remember round about the time of her death Mother Teresa also passed away. I personally think that Mother Teresa was far more selfless and worked tirelessly to help people, it was her entire life. Princess Diana lead a quite opulent and extravegant lifestyle , whereas Mother Teresa certainly did not. I feel for Dianas sons as the circumstances of her death will always be speculated and there will always be unanswered questions surrounding it.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 04:44
She deserves to be remembered as a human who died tragically, and for the good work she did when alive. She touched a lot of people and is sorely missed, so regardless of her heritage or her lifestyle, she still means a lot to many many people.
Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 14:12
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Yes, Elenos, but it's proportional - America is much larger than the UK (really?) and naturally, their GDP is larger than ours - the monarchy costs a huge amount of money (about 80p per British citizen per annum) to maintain, and for no purpose. Please look at this site - it'll clear up the delusion for you- http://www.republic.org.uk/

...And also, please, can nobody here use the pathetic excuse that "it helps tourism" because statistically, it doesn't and that's usually what monarchists use when they have not got a good hand left (they were never dealt anything much in the first place!). The truth is, many monarchists that I know are reluctant to discuss it because they haven't got a shread of evidence to suggest a valid reason why they should exist. This blatant, blind pride in an institution that serves no reason to divide our people, take a large proportion of our wealth, keep a remnant of the British empire alive and kicking, lays ridiculous claims, insults military heroism, devalues meritocracy in our society and has screwed up (yes, I can see it from their point of view, the monarchs are not "happy" in their position and many of them are screwed up and have various issues) a succession of innocent human beings by the intense public pressure that is offloaded onto them. Also, did you know that offically, we Britons are offically known as "subjects" and not "citizens"? Did you also know that the monarchy break the UN declaration of human rights?

...Despite any other arguments that people have to the contrary, nepotism is awful and fundamentally, you shouldn't be given that amount of prestige and be made the head of state because of the WOMB THAT YOU CAME FROM!

Also, just another feather in a republican's hat-

TOURISM

The argument that the monarchy brings in tourism revenue is not only irrelevant to a debate about our constitution, it is also untrue. There is not a single bit of evidence to back this up. Of the top 20 tourist attractions in the UK only one royal residence makes it, Windsor Castle at number 17 (beaten comfortably by Windsor Legoland, in at number 7). Royal residences account for less than 1% of total tourist revenue. Indeed, the success of the Tower of London (number 6 in the list) suggests that tourism would benefit if Buckingham Palace and Windsor castle were vacated by the Windsor family.

The British tourist industry is successful and robust - castles and palaces would remain a part of our heritage regardless of whether or not we have a monarchy (look at Versaille). Other attractions, such as the London Eye, Trafalgar Square, the west end, Bath, Stonehenge, Britain's beautiful countryside and so on, will continue to attract tourists in the same numbers as they do today.

Professor Philip Hall

So please, before you say anything else, people, don't even attempt an argument with Anti-monarchists - I respect the rights of people to question (you can see this from various posts in this forum), but with Anti-monarchists, it's a little bit futile.

Fair play Aster Thrax Eupator I have to say I agree 100% with youThumbs%20Up. I always thought though, that the tourism argument held up, seems i was mistaken.

Is it still illegal to call for the abolition of the monarchy?
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 17:07
Originally posted by elenos

Forgive us all Queen Cleopatra for intruding on your memorial thread.

It's alright no worries! I completely respect everyone's input and opinions.

I can see why people would assume Diana was nothing more than a manic depressive attention seeker whose only talents were dressing well and being beautiful and that I only admire her royal status etc but nothing could be further than the truth and that's why I set up this thread in the first place.

She's an inspiration and deserves to be remembered for the kind caring woman she was, not just because she was a Princess.

It's just so tragic that Diana felt so alone and unhappy through her life and believed that no-one loved her like she needed when in fact she was probably the most loved woman in England.

The only reason she played to the media so much was because it was the only way she knew to show how unhappy she was and what a lie she was living. She was desperate. She didn't do it  for the fame or the attention aspect. Everyone knows how much she hated the media intrusion on her life.

As for her death I think it was simply a case of speeding and possibly Henri Paul driving under the influence and that's all. I don't buy into the whole murder theory. It was just a tragic accident in my opinion.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123