Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books on the study of history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books on the study of history
    Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 18:30

Can anyone recommend any good books on historiology - the study of history? Books on historical method, philosophy and so forth?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 11:45
I saw a few at my local bookstore but I don't remember their names... 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 13:45
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Can anyone recommend any good books on historiology - the study of history? Books on historical method, philosophy and so forth?

..Hi there...

..here's one or two that might provide a good read, none are 'definitive' and because of the subject, perhaps never will be, but all are useful to dip into and find interesting ideas regarding historiographical viewpoints/discussions/methods etc etc...and differing opinions!!!

..Richard J. Evans 'In Defence of History' (Granta Books, London)
..Marc Bloch 'The Historian's Craft' (Manchester University Press)
..Arthur Marwick 'The New Nature of History-Knowledge, Evidence, Language' (Palgrave, London)
..John Tosh 'The Pursuit of History' (Longman, London)..although i am not sure what edition this tome is up to now...

..hope this helps...
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 18:44

Thanks very much! I shall look at those right away!

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:33
I wish I were in the UK to buy these books
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 05:47
You're in Turkey? If you're in Istanbul, check out the Homer bookshop on Istakal. They have everything!
 Post Reply Post Reply