Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Sultan still in the house?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Sultan still in the house?
    Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 17:43
Unfortunately the word "Nationalist" has developed connotation of being linked to "racism".

What you describe is a Nationalist/Patriotic act, Greeks were a part of the Ottoman State, the nation, so were all the other peoples living under the Ottoman nation.

Supporting only one ethnicity in a nation/state is RACISM, as you don't care about the whole country, just about a select part of it you feel is superior to the others.

The two are completely different.

Patriotism is just another word for Nationalism, Nationalism like all things in its extreme form is destructive, also when Racism is mixed into Nationalism it gets filthy.

However, loving your country, all the people in your country, your culture, being at ease with your identity and wanting to benefit your country is not a bad trait at all.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 17:48
For example,I am a Turk,I want my culture to be protected and I want to live the culture of my ancestors.I,of course,hate the ones who are dynamiting my culture and country.But I love EVERYONE in my country(considering they are nt harming my country),from any ethnicity and language,and I want their culture to be protected.I am a nationalist. And thats what a nationalist should be,IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123