Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Empires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sam View Drop Down
  Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Empires
    Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 07:56
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with picking a few specific "case studies" as you may call them for a debate that I must do for wait for it... tomorrow!! It's a long story but I'm taking the chance. I won't say the debate topic unless someone asks but my team must argue that Empire's have provided more costs than benefits to the world. SO basically, there have been more consequences (in a negative sense) than .. the opposite of negative consequences. If anyone has any ideas of large scale consequences because it must be affecting on a more global scale then please help but if not, thanks for reading!
cheers
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 08:16
Look at the Roman Empire in the West (France, Spain, Britain) and see the transformation. Tribal and semi-tribal societies transformed into centrally administered units with improved trade, communication, urbanisation and peace (until the Late Empire).
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 08:22
So you must prove the empires in general benefit the world more than they cost us? More good than bad?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 08:26
I believe his team is arguing that "Empire's have provided more costs than benefits to the world", meaning they have done more bad than good...am I right in saying this? Excuse me if I'm wrong.
benzs_s View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote benzs_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 10:06
You'd have to argue the whole thing from the view that the entire premise is moot as such huge machines as empires bring with them good and bad things, often linked in such a way that it is impossible to separate.

It'd be false history to suppose that an empire whose effect on the world is still felt today had a more negative than positive effect (on balance) as you'd have to roll back the empire's very existence and ponder what would have happened had it not existed. Largely it is impossible to do that.
Bibamus moriendum est
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 19:38

The problem with empire... you are on the good side of argument.

Look at empire' type of government. They have autocratic leaders. While the empire would be successful when they have capable leaders, the empire goes horrifically wrong if they have incapable leaders. Can people choose the capable leader? No, because leaders are not selected based on talents and capabilites.

As well, the difference in terms of culture, language and other things make the empire to function inefficiently in many cases. For instance, English Empire would make sure that Britain gets the best interest, and place tariffs and other fees to discourage her colonies and give advantages to British companies. Colonies are suppressed, ensuring that they would not work too efficiently that would improve their colonies but not the motherland. Empire limits the advancement of the colonies.

Colonies are used as bargaining chips by the empires. These native people have no say with their land. If the empire wishes it, their land could be taken away and sold to other nations/empires. If you were part of my empire, then I have every right to take away every goods you possess and sell you off as slavery, by the Imperial order. You will not have any right to debate with me in the name of the emperor.

Join us.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 06:52
Yes Pekau's points are valid like.

arguing for empire's costs, you will generally argue on moral issues like slave trade, colonization of the periphery, the normality of the  murder of opponents.

Apart from that,you can also add that  the empire's constant will for power and more territory have lead to a tremendous of wars and devastating of economies..

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 08:09
Truly spoken, Pekau, as a neighbour of one of the world's oldest and most autocratic empires. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply