Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Iranian people...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Iranian people...
    Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 23:05

Um... I heard that many of them are Persians, but I thought there are Medians as well. But a Persian friend of mine says that he never heard of them. I am confused. So there are no more Medians in Middle East? Or is it just Iran?

Join us.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 00:22
The Medians were basically absorbed into Persian culture, however since the Persian culture were very dominated during the time the Medians just lost their characteristic and distinct culture and became intergraded with the Persian I guess.

And I bet your friend doesnt know alot of history Tongue
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 00:44
Medians were very closely related to Persians. One could probably say that they were too clans from one stock. The mother of the first Persian king Cyrus, Astyages was in fact Median. Cyrus simply united too clans into one nation. So in fact, Medians mixed with Persians and formed the ruling ehtnicity of the Persian empire. However, the new nation kept "Persian" as its name.

I don't think that Medians were complaining too much...  Smile
Σαυρομάτης
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 16:07
I know there was some distintion between Persians and Medians... but I am talking about in the modern world right now. Did they get assimilated by the Persians, or are there still Medians that practice their own culture and so on...? And if so, about what percentage out of enture Iranian population?

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 16:11
And yes, Kamikaze 738. He's not inot history, but he's obsesses with science and math.

Join us.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 16:16
They got assimilated entirely. Unfortuntately, there are no "modern Medians". Unhappy
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply