Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

history as a boring subject?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: history as a boring subject?
    Posted: 27-May-2007 at 04:18
Some people in Hong kong think that history is a boring subject, indeed it is, you need to memorize  alot to attend exam, the reason, the course and the result of those historical events, for example,it may ask you the reasons why Qin united China, is it a good way top learn histoory, or a way to kill history?
leung
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 12:25
It's all about the  way that history is tought in school. It is very easy for a student to get a bad impression about a lesson, which finally represents a whole scientific sector(whatever it would be, for example maths, chemistry etc.).

for example,it may ask you the reasons why Qin united China, is it a good way top learn histoory, or a way to kill history?

It would kill history only if you are forced to learn (memorize dates, names, regions) whithout understanding the reasons of the fact which had happened back then. The point of history learning is to analyse the facts (from the beginning to the end ) and if it's possible, to mention their aftermaths in the following years. It's a very interesting process were you're "forced" not to memorise but to extend your orisons of thought.

Personally , it was very easy for me to keep in mind the historical facts when i was in highscool , because i edited them in my mind like a movie, which scenario was the history book.The usage of imagination takes a major part on history learning. 

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 02:50
Some model answer books have done the analyse for students, teachers just need to photocopy the books and the students just need to memorize the content, this is the way how H.k schools teach history.
leung
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 10:16
I find it difficult not to like history. It answers the question "why do we live like this?" Dates are important in the context of greater themes. For example, knowing that the American Civil War ended in 1864 helps to explain the urgency that Civil Rights leaders had in 1964, and why they were not too impressed by politicians asking them to wait.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 19:50
Only one problem with your post hugoestr is that the American Civil War (a name I don't like, it's more of a second Revolution than a Civil War) officially ended with the surrender of General Lee at Appomattox Court House on 9 April 1865. I agree that dates are important as they do indeed give incite into greater themes and often help with analysis. History with out names and dates is like good food with out a good beverage (beer, wine, soda, whatever) just not worth it. Much like a life with out chocolate is no life worth living.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 07:41
Oops! Got the year wrong. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by hugoestr - 20-Jun-2007 at 07:41
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 08:54
I don't think dates are that important at all. Throughout my study, there is only a few I ever remembered (800 Charlemagne crowned, 1066 England invaded, 1592 Columbus accidentally hits a continent etc.) All dates I would have in my head as long as the course took, and forget again.

Dates have almost nothing to do with the learning of history. They provide a point of refence, no more. The imporant things are causes and consequenses, continuity and discontinuity, political changes, innovations. The understanding of processes is much more important than just learning facts by heart.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 05:33
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Dates have almost nothing to do with the learning of history. They provide a point of refence, no more. The imporant things are causes and consequenses, continuity and discontinuity, political changes, innovations. The understanding of processes is much more important than just learning facts by heart.

Altough I suggest not to overlvalue dates in history, I would disagree with you vor undervaluing dates in history. Dates surely have something to do with the learning of history. In order to interprent events and their causes better, one needs to divide the timeline. For example, the French Revolution of 1789 is important, it marks the new age of history. 9/11 is important, because it has shaped the course of 21.century. Such dates are to be known by heart in order to interprent history, in my opinion
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 23:58
I enjoy history because I like to compare my family origin with other cultures and see what I can learn from them. Also, I look at the events of history as a good story.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 19:37
History is the story of life and how to live it.
elenos
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 10:59
1592 Columbus accidentally hits a continent etc
it was 1492,surely you do not think that date is very important
leung
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 11:23

yeah well, what is a century more or less. Everything after 1000 is decline anyhow.

I really mean it. Dates are just points of reference on an arbitrarily chosen scale. The fact that China has a different year does not mean history went any different. It is like degrees in temperature. What matters is whether it is boiling or freezing, not at how many degrees it happens. Measuring it in Farenheit is not making the boilingpoint shift in any way.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 25-Jun-2007 at 11:26

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 11:44
Originally posted by tommy

Some people in Hong kong think that history is a boring subject, indeed it is, you need to memorize alot to attend exam, the reason, the course and the result of those historical events, for example,it may ask you the reasons why Qin united China, is it a good way top learn histoory, or a way to kill history?

How else are you supposed to study history? If you're studying Chinese history you should easily be able to talk about some of the features of the Qin unification. Maybe they have presented it in a boring manner, maybe they are trying too hard to make it into some sort of patriotic tool, there are alot of ways to kill history.

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I don't think dates are that important at all. Throughout my study, there is only a few I ever remembered (800 Charlemagne crowned, 1066 England invaded, 1592 Columbus accidentally hits a continent etc.) All dates I would have in my head as long as the course took, and forget again.

Dates have almost nothing to do withthe learning of history. They provide a point of refence, no more. The imporant things are causes and consequenses, continuity and discontinuity, political changes, innovations. The understanding of processes is much more important than just learning facts by heart.

Dates are somewhat important. Some people nowadays commit all kinds of terrible anachronisms, having the wrong kind of technology and architecture in the wrong periods, getting events out of chronological order, etc. It's ok for a basic study that's pre-digested for the reader out of textbook, where one doesn't have to come to one's own conclusions, but dates are really important in understanding history. If you don't know at least approximate dates you're going to miss connections between events when the relationship isn't spelled out for you, whole lines of inquiry will just be lost. Eg, you're an entire century off for Columbus, and that will miss you the fact that the Spanish discoveries and conquest in Mexico and the Carribean followed very close on the heels of the Reconquista, which is important in understanding the mindset and motivations of the explorers and conquistadors and missionaries.

Basically without dates you can only absorb what others have understood for you, and then you're stuck with their mistakes, their particular focus and interpretation.

Edited by edgewaters - 25-Jun-2007 at 11:46
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 12:04
Hey, I do know the date for Columbus, thanks very much. I am a history student, I can keep my centuries apart. It was a typo, I would have thought that obvious from my previous reaction. 4 and 5 happen to be right next to each other, you know.

I think it is the other way round. For beginners, dates are important as a supporting point for their studies. That is why at school you learn dates by heart, even though knowing historical dates by heart is fairly obsolete knowledge for the rest of your life. 

When you get futher along, all dates are used for is indications. They have no value in themselves. I have not had a question asking after dates ever during my studies after secondary school. You see, dates, if you don't know them, you can just look them up, they don't change or anything. But the bigger picture is something that you have to learn to see. To be able to see causes and consequenses takes practice, and that you cannot just take it out of a book. And that is the stuff that is actually important to be able to do in your professional life.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 17:24

I agree with Aelfgifu- remembering key dates is important, but not central to the discipline - remembering reams of dates will not help anyone become a good historian unless they have what I call a "feel" for the period in which they are studying. If you've got the method and the context, then the dates can follow from there. For example, when I read Caroline Finkel's Osman's dream (a history of the Ottoman empire - great book!), I didn't remember many of the dates - I got a general "feel" for the Ottoman empire and it's society. It's more important to remember structures within the states that you are studying, abstract theories behind the civs that carry the most weight. When most people mention dates, they mean a basic understanding of the dates of the world (which centuries fit which era, etc.), which most people gain by at most age 11.

If you read two sources, and get the differences from them, have the context and can analyse them, you've got the basic historical method - If you can read two sources, know all the dates which relate to them off-by-heart, but can't see any differences, then that's not going to help much.
 Post Reply Post Reply