Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inquisitions Post Mortem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inquisitions Post Mortem
    Posted: 27-May-2007 at 01:19
I am trying to discover when and where the practice of "Inquisitions Post Mortem" began.

I have a basic understanding of its "process" with regards to 16th Century England - but where and when did the concept develop??

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 06:44

The earliest held by the National Archives date from Henry III and 1236.

But those are in English: I guess there may have been such inquisitions before in French and/or Latin, since some such statement of holdings must have been required, even in a less formal way, whenever a crown feudatory died.

PS I did a google search for French and German pages using the phrase "inquisitiones post mortem" and found some, but they were all French and German historians writing about English history.

Edited by gcle2003 - 27-May-2007 at 07:33
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:42
Would this term indeed mean being found a heretic after death? That is... strange... What are they going to do? Kill you again? Burn your corpse? Convert you post-mortem?

Edited by Aelfgifu - 27-May-2007 at 07:42

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 08:07
No - the process has to do with inheritance and succession following a death.

Nothing to do the the Inquisition (ie: heretics and the Church, etc).
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 08:14
Ah, ok. Smile

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 10:51
Specifically it is an investigation into what lands were held by the dead person directly from the King, and what should be done with them.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 05:22
Thanks for the link - I too found nothing earlier (in England) than Henry III.

I wonder if it was a Norman institution.

Any idea of what a "Certificate of Homage" was ????

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply