Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prince Eugene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prince Eugene
    Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 16:04
I'm looking for info. on Prince Eugene of Austro-Hungaria. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Achilles
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 18:06
Sorry, I know that won't help you any further, but when I saw your post, the first thing that came to my mind, what the first lines of a song that I learned as a child:
"Prinze Eugen, der edle Ritter,
hat im Hintern einen Splitter....."
Roughly translated: "Prince Eugen, the brave knight, has a splinter in his back-side...."
The only useful information we can draw from this is, he must have been a very popular person, otherwise, they wouldn't have made a song about him.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 18:17
To make up for this silly song, I looked him up in my very useful, but very ancient edition of Fischer's "Geschichte in Gestalten",:
"Eugen, Prince of Savoy,1663-1736, Austrian military commander and statesman. Exceptional military talent and statesmanship made P.E., the defender of Europe against the Turks and world-historic adversary of Louis XIV, famous beyond his own epoch.........
There is one and a half pages on him, so if you need anymore or have more specific questions, I'm happy to read and translate some more.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply