Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

33 Iranian female activists arrested

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 33 Iranian female activists arrested
    Posted: 06-May-2007 at 07:26
They were arrested for protesting for women's rights, it says so on the first line of the thread and the lengthy article I posted goes into some detail..
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 08:06
Originally posted by Zagros

Well, it's easy to say that in retrospect and as my little rant shows, I agree with you with regards the Shah, relatively speaking.

Krieg.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:07
...and more on the arrest of Iranian women activists:

A second arrest for Zeinab Peyqambarzadeh (Iranian womens rights advocate) on May 8th, 2007 when she reported to court for a summons issued for her participation in the June 2006 womens rights protest.   She is being held in Evin Prison as her family cannot post bond of 20,000 euros. Arresting these activist women seems to be the Iranian governments attempt to crack down on feminist advocacy. Shirin Ebadi (a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and Iranian womens activist) has commented about these arrests by stating, I am shocked to hear of these sentences. Campaigning to end discriminatory laws should not send a woman to jail. Working to build an equal society is building human security, not threatening national security.   

IMO, these women will someday prevail in Iran, and I only hope that they live long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labor. As long as these women keep protesting and bring in more worldwide media attention towards their treatment, the more success I see for them in the future. Im so very very proud of them for their courage and determination and for bonding together in an effort to attain well-deserved basic human rights and equality. Theres certainly no crime in that! I wish them luck and much success and will support them wholeheartedly.

Source: http://www.feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=10300
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:58
Ironically enough, women in Iran had more equality, so far as the state was concerned, at the turn of the last century.

Iran has truly gone back in time.  But having said that, Iran, IR of, has had a female VP.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 06:33
I get the feeling that they may have been arrested for something other than protesting. Iran is a democracy, getting arrested for a peaceful protest is highly unlikely. What did they actually do to get themselves arrested? Indecent exposure (fairly easy in Iran), violence, etc, etc. What's the actual charge?

btw, feminist.org doesn't sound like a good unbiased reference source in my opinion.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 06:42
I followed the story myself, if you think anyone has the right to peaceful protest then I point you towards the bus driver union protests last year and the student protests in 1999 and numerous other unreported gatherings.

Iran is a selective, controlled democratic theocracy.  It is by no means a democracy within your scope of the word- if I even criticised the supreme leader's decisions publicly I would be locked up.  If by something other than protest you mean this, then you're probably right.

Have you read the article I posted?  Maybe it will answer your question.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 06:43
Akbar Ganji was locked up for merely stating that Muslims are not monkeys who should follow the decree of a higher power (referring to Valiyateh Faghih, supreme leader).
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 15:19
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I get the feeling that they may have been arrested for something other than protesting. Iran is a democracy, getting arrested for a peaceful protest is highly unlikely. What did they actually do to get themselves arrested? Indecent exposure (fairly easy in Iran), violence, etc, etc. What's the actual charge?

Those arrested in the 12 June 2006 demonstration include Fariba Davoodi Mohajer, Shahla Entesari, Noushin Ahmadi Khorassani, Parvin Ardalan and Sussan Tahmasebi. All had been summoned to appear before Branch 6 of the Revolutionary Court in Tehran on charges of "propaganda against the system", "acting against national security" and "participating in an illegal demonstration".

Others have also been charged in connection with the 12 June demonstration, but have not yet been summoned to court. Another, Zhila Bani Ya'qoub, a journalist who was among those arrested on 4 March, was tried and acquitted in January 2007 on a charge of participating in an illegal demonstration relating to the 12 June demonstration.

From amnesty website.
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 10:19
I get the feeling women had more rights in ancient Persia than in Iran. Atleast they didn't have to wear such clothes all the time.

Edited by Jagiello - 13-May-2007 at 10:20
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 15:53
Originally posted by Jagiello

I get the feeling women had more rights in ancient Persia than in Iran. Atleast they didn't have to wear such clothes all the time.

It's not so much the clothes they wear, Jagiello. Women should be allowed to wear whatever they choose, IMO, whether it be a burka or a bikini. What is unfair is the total lack of basic human rights afforded. They have no freedom of speech or assembly. They can't even protest to try and resolve the issues amicably and in a peaceful fashion - or they get arrested. It will probably take many more arrests, but, ultimately, these women will prevail. The world is now watching these women and the government surely knows that by now.
"Morty

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 16:59
Originally posted by Jagiello

100 years ago until the mid 40s, women in Iran had more rights than their contemporaries in such places as the US and the UK and other European and European origin countries.  And today they are per capita more educated than most.

Women who dress like penguins choose to dress like penguins (chador wearers). The thing that is enforced is revealing of skin and the roosari (head cover).

Demonstrators

Penguins.

Edited by Zagros - 14-May-2007 at 17:00
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 08:13
They choose to dress like this because they are brainwashed from babyes that this will "keep their dignity".Don't tell me you also think women should wear such clothes and not show their skin.And how you know all of them want to be dressed like this?There might be a lot of women that don't want to but the law makes them(i'm talking about head cover) and their families insist.

Edited by Jagiello - 15-May-2007 at 08:14
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 09:03
Let me spell it out for you:

What I am saying is that they dress like penguins because they believe they are adhering to their religion.  Whilst others are not and therefore wear the minimum requirement, I said this in a rebuttal to your ignorant statement that women are forced to dress in one particular way in Iran.  Now, during the predictable course of posts which would have inevitably followed, you would have misconstrued this into me thinking that the minimum requirement is OK... 

If there was no minimum requirement law, the women in the first picture that I posted would not be wearing head scarves whilst it would not have made a difference to the women in the latter picture.

I don't think that women should dress in any particular way.  And have never stated as much - ever, stop putting words into my mouth and making ill informed assumptions about me, it is highly annoying, like a mosquito.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 20:34
Originally posted by Zagros

Let me spell it out for you:

What I am saying is that they dress like penguins because they believe they are adhering to their religion.  Whilst others are not and therefore wear the minimum requirement, I said this in a rebuttal to your ignorant statement that women are forced to dress in one particular way in Iran.  Now, during the predictable course of posts which would have inevitably followed, you would have misconstrued this into me thinking that the minimum requirement is OK... 

If there was no minimum requirement law, the women in the first picture that I posted would not be wearing head scarves whilst it would not have made a difference to the women in the latter picture.

I don't think that women should dress in any particular way.  And have never stated as much - ever, stop putting words into my mouth and making ill informed assumptions about me, it is highly annoying, like a mosquito.

LOL

The dress codes, altough unfair, still seem better than in Saudi. Furthermore, Jagiello has been making such rather ignorant posts througout Islam/Mid. East related topics.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 15:28
Heres an update on one of the female Iranian activist.

On Monday, July 2nd, 2007, twenty-four year old Iranian activist, Delaram Ali, was sentenced to 10 lashes (they still do that? what do they use? a leather whip, or what?) and almost three years in prison for participating in the 2006 protest at Tehran Square. She had been arrested and charged with participating in an illegal gathering, propaganda against the system and disturbing the public order. Her sentence has been appealed and shes presently out on bond ($21,000). Thats a pretty stiff sentence for a peaceful demonstration which means that the government is feeling threatened by these females activists.

Source: http://www.payvand.com/news/07/jul/1045.html

Delaram Ali
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 18:08

If you wish to take action against persecution and prosecution of womens rights defenders in Iran ,including Delaram Ali, please sign the following petition.
http://www.meydaan.com/English/petition.aspx?cid=52&pid=12

Also you can read all about Delaram at:
http://www.delaram.org

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12