Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Difference of opinion" on Chinese Mythology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Difference of opinion" on Chinese Mythology
    Posted: 01-May-2007 at 01:44

Here is a conversation between Daniel Jackson(an archeologist) and Jack O'neill(the colonel), from the Sci-fiction show Stargate-SG1, season 2 episode 19 "One false step".

Daniel: "Oh, please, we have a difference of opinion on just about everything."
O'Neill: "Give me an example."
Daniel, stuttering at first: "I don't know, pick something! How about mythology?"
O'Neill: "Rumors, lies, fairy tales."
Daniel: "See see see see see see! Mythology is one of the primary motivations for cultural development!"

The Chinese legend says their nation was founded by a mythological figure Huang di (The Yellow Emperor) .Hes regarded as one of the ancestor of Chinese civilization, today the Chinese still call themselves as "The sicons of Yan di and the Yellow emperor".

Keep Daniel and Jackson's conversation in mind, and lets explore, what are your opinions regarding the mythology of Huang di(and Yan di)?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 00:38
Originally posted by The Charioteer

Here is a conversation between Daniel Jackson(an archeologist) and Jack O'neill(the colonel), from the Sci-fiction show Stargate-SG1, season 2 episode 19 "One false step".

Daniel: "Oh, please, we have a difference of opinion on just about everything."
O'Neill: "Give me an example."
Daniel, stuttering at first: "I don't know, pick something! How about mythology?"
O'Neill: "Rumors, lies, fairy tales."
Daniel: "See see see see see see! Mythology is one of the primary motivations for cultural development!"

The Chinese legend says their nation was founded by a mythological figure Huang di (The Yellow Emperor) .Hes regarded as one of the ancestor of Chinese civilization, today the Chinese still call themselves as "The sicons of Yan di and the Yellow emperor".

Keep Daniel and Jackson's conversation in mind, and lets explore, what are your opinions regarding the mythology of Huang di(and Yan di)?

Let's start with this:

The Chinese adopted this legend from the Eastern Barbarians, the Koreans and Tungus people.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 14:41
Originally posted by Aguda

Let's start with this:

The Chinese adopted this legend from the Eastern Barbarians, the Koreans and Tungus people.

Let's start with this:

DEFINE "Chinese", the "Eastern Barbarians", the "Koreans" and "Tungus people".

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 02:50
I was actually wondering when was first time he was mentioned in Chinese records?  Was it Shiji?  Or was it earlier books of mythology/history?  What does Shiji say about him if it mentioned him?  I think Wiki says something about a 700 BC record.  Anybody read in Chinese?  What was Han Dynasty's official view on him or Emperor Yao? Myth or History? King or God?  What about Qin?  What would Qin Shihuangti think of him?

Sorry too many Qs and no As.

But he does interest me and any info on ancient Chinese records, I would appreciate it
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 03:54
I was actually wondering when was first time he was mentioned in Chinese records?  Was it Shiji?  Or was it earlier books of mythology/history?  What does Shiji say about him if it mentioned him?  I think Wiki says something about a 700 BC record.  Anybody read in Chinese?  What was Han Dynasty's official view on him or Emperor Yao? Myth or History? King or God?  What about Qin?  What would Qin Shihuangti think of him?

Sorry too many Qs and no As.

But he does interest me and any info on ancient Chinese records, I would appreciate it.

I do have a different angle on whole thing that perhaps the reason for all these Han Chinese, Korean, Hmong, Mongols , Scythians, Huns, Turks have connecting mythologies and ancient cultures is not due to one group has stolen it from the other or one mythology is an offspring of the other.  Well, not always.  I was wondering whether they all are stolen and offspring of even earlier mythologies and culture  like Sumerian and Vedic  mythologies.  Even the Bear Cult connection from Akkads and Koreans even Finland?  Flood myths? I'm not suggesting that there was a massive Sumerian migration to Korea in 2300 BC or there was a pre-historic Pan-Asiatic civilization.  I'm merely suggesting that legends/myths/folklores can travel faster and farther than actual population movements, military-economic-cultural movements and linger in the culture longer even after political, economical influence stops.

With nomadic "Tungus" people as vehicle such myths could evolved and add local flavor to favor the regional sentiment of the time. 

Of course it will be gigantic amount of study to compare all those mythologies and their genealogies, perhaps as hard as coming up with the Unified Theory in Physics.  I also know that I'm not the one to do either. But I do think Human race will come up with an unified theory someday as much as an unified mythology.  On that aspect, Huang Di can be a very important figure whether all or non of myths about him is actual historical event.

Little farther off the track, when was first time Sumerian, Indus, and Egyptian civilizations were mentioned in Chinese records?  I've read somewhere that ancient Chinese mentioned Kish, when?         

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 04-Jun-2007 at 04:06
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 08:39
Is Stargate-SG1 a good drama ?
leung
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 11:35
best sci-fi there is
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 19:15
I think almost all myths are anchored in some sort of basic truth, so I wouldn't doubt the existence of a figure, and/or multiple figures, that may have been the archetype for a figure like Huangdi and/or any other character in Chinese mythology.  Or, like in other cases, he may simply be the personification of an idea, such as the Chinese nation.  Just throwing out some ideas.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 19:47
So no one read Shiji in Chinese or even in translation?  Come on,  I Know there has to be someone who can tell me about what Shiji say about Huangdi.  I've heard that the objectivity of Shiji on previous dynasties especially on Qin can be questionable.  But due to Shihaungti's book burning, it is considered the oldest official Chinese history record surviving.  Wouldn't that be a good  starting point on any ancient Chinese history?   Like I said in earlier post, I don't even know if Haungdi is even mentioned in Shiji.  So I would appreciate any info on Huangdi in ancient Chinese records.  Is there website I can go to read them in English?
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 10:22
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I think almost all myths are anchored in some sort of basic truth, so I wouldn't doubt the existence of a figure, and/or multiple figures, that may have been the archetype for a figure like Huangdi and/or any other character in Chinese mythology.  Or, like in other cases, he may simply be the personification of an idea, such as the Chinese nation.  Just throwing out some ideas.

Good one, sounds very Jackson-like.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 19:19
Originally posted by The Charioteer

My impression is that the majority of Chinese who have somewhat serious background in historical studies would consider him a myth.  A founding myth provides a source of cultural identity, but one can't expect serious scholars to view it as factual history.

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 19:23
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

So no one read Shiji in Chinese or even in translation?  Come on,  I Know there has to be someone who can tell me about what Shiji say about Huangdi. 

The very first chapter of Shiji talks about Huangdi.  Also, the chapter of the "Calendar Record" also talks about Huangdi.  One excerpt of the Calendar Record says that Huangdi "examined the star calendar and established the five elements."  There might be other references to Huangdi in the Shiji, but I'm not an expert of Shiji, so I can't tell you much more.

Edited by MengTzu - 23-Aug-2007 at 19:30

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
 Post Reply Post Reply