Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arturo Perez Reverte

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arturo Perez Reverte
    Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 09:37
Does anyone with more knowledge of Spanish 17th century than me know how accurate the backgrounds to the Capitan Alatriste novels by Perez Reverte are?

I just came across them having already read his excellent Flanders Panel and Dumas Club.

Edited by gcle2003 - 30-Apr-2007 at 09:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 21:55
I have read thousands of books in Spanish, but I have never hear about Perez Reverte. What does he say about those periods?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 01:27
Yeah I love the series of capitan Alatriste. The writting is poor but god it is so much fun.

I don't remember it too well but most of it is quite true. In a quite romantic way. It looks a like he liked some bits and pieces in the stuff he read and centers his novels on some details (the English Duke in Spain, the theater, the Capitain Contreras, the painting, the battles). Of course some stuff are just too awkward such as when a simple soldier manages to foretell the decline of the Spanish Empire.

For me this series is a perfect light stuff. But for better readings my favourites are:
The manuscript of Saragossa (long but so good, in its style it is almost as good as Cervantes).
The plays of Lope de Vega
The memories of the Capitain de Contreras

But of course the main problem for the historicity of the Capitan Alatriste is problematic because it focuses on a relatively small spot of the Spanish Empire. After all Madrid was not THE place of the underworld Seville was (and Cadix), and majority of the population was living in the countryside not in urban areas.

So I'd say it is not wrong but it lacks a real general view. But the reenactment of that period is really a nice way to start
I am a free donkey!
Explorador View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Explorador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 15:06
I have read several Alatriste books and I really enjoyed them.

But I disagree about the poor writting. It's written in the 17th century style, with words and expressions that aren't used anymore in modern Spanish.

The series is very historically accurate. There are a lot of historical characters among the fictional ones, and very detailed descriptions of places and cities. Sometimes I would say the author lived in 17th century Madrid!

One of the books take place in Cadiz and Seville. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply