Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Creation of the Mahajanapadas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creation of the Mahajanapadas
    Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 12:52
During the discussion of the word Aryan, the claim was made that it only applied to people living within the mahajanapadas.

However, this brings up a crucial point. Is there any indisputable evidence that there were people (in a civilization) living to the extreme south of the mahajanapadas? In other words, when the Mahabharata was written, were there any civilizations in what is now Tamil Nadu?

I ask because if one were to believe that the IVC was in fact "dravidian," and that they were displaced by invading tribes, then it would be reasonable that the civilization moved south. If the mahajanapadas were only filled with the invaders, then one could expect to find IVC type culture to the south of the mahajanapadas. However, there is a strong lack of this. Plus, there is a lack of evidence that there were foreign invaders in the first place. There is no evidence of the IVC people being displaced by another culture. Rather, they were displaced due to flooding of their cities.

Therefore, i argue that the IVC peoples are the ones who created the mahajanapadas, after adopting the Vedic culture.

What do you think?
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 03:57
We don't know how IVC was destroyed and which language/languages people inhabiting the IVC spoke.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 10:37
Regardless, it does not matter what the IVC people spoke, or why they left. All we know is that they DID leave, and we believe they moved south. However, they did not move all the way south, for no significant traces of IVC culture has been found in Southern India. Coupled with the fact there were no invasions during this time period, it is safe to conclude that the IVC peoples were the ones who created the mahajanapadas.
ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 07:55
Dear Aloka,

I am writing an article about mentions of South Indian kingdoms in Mahabharatha. I will post excerpts from that in a day.

There are plenty of mentions of South India in Mahabharatha.

Regards,

Ashwin
Dharmo Rakshatihi Rakshataha
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 10:20
well, i wasn't trying to imply anything about south india being in the mahabharata or anything. All i'm saying is that it isn't unreasonable to assume that the IVC peoples are who started the Mahajanapadas.
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 09:43
This is also repetitive.

Already, there has been a separate posting about 56 Kingdoms.
 Post Reply Post Reply