Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the mood of history student

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the mood of history student
    Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 12:24
In your observation, or personal feeling, may you think that students whose major is history feel happy, and have a very high  studying mood and spirit, in Hong Kong, that not, because this city do not concern history, only stock and money<

How about your countries?
leung
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 20:36

Don't know. It's true that most of Koreans aim for doctors or something else that offer more profitable jobs.

Join us.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 21:04
When I was at Uni they sent the Humanities dept into limbo on it's own small campus, 800 people, 5 miles from the rest of the Uni. With its own admin dept so we never had to visit, darken the doorstep of, be seen with, bring down the standards or shame the rest of the Uni by our mere presence in the same location.

We had several courses. Philosophy, History, English, Women's Studies, Film Studies, Carribean Studies, French and Psychology.

Each course had it'a own unique repuation.

The philosophers were generally out of their heads on hallucinagens & ganja, pretentious but friendly if you could stand the lack of washing. The history students were all major alcoholics and very plebian(only drank in pubs with sawdust on the floor and you had to fight your way out). English students: one glass of wine and they dropped their knickers and were non too fussy who with. Women's Studies: marxist stormtroopers. Film studies had a (but we are a proper subject, inferiority complex). French Students: one glass of wine and they dropped their knickers, but only during their year in france. Psychology: a bunch of anally rententive humourless, teetolalling, prissy, friendless, w**kers, god did they need therapy.

Edited by Paul - 18-Apr-2007 at 04:52
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:51
The philosophers were generally out of their heads on hallucinagens & ganja, pretentious but friendly if you could stand the lack of washing. The history students were all major alcoholics and very plebian(only drank in pubs with sawdust on the floor and you had to fight your way out). English students: one glass of wine and they dropped their knickers and were non too fussy who with. Women's Studies: marxist stormtroopers. Film studies had a (but we are a proper subject, inferiority complex). French Students: one glass of wine and they dropped their knickers, but only during their year in france. Psychology: a bunch of anally rententive humourless, teetolalling, prissy, friendless, w**kers, god did they need therapy.

I think thats the same at nearly every University!Smile

My own Personal Experience is that most Students majoring in History Love History, but hate the courses they are doing. They specifically love certain parts of History and find they can never research the stuff they want to research.

I find myself in that position too! Having a Continual love of History, But hating the History i find myself reading/writing!

History isn't a bad subject here and I think a lot of people find jobs afterwards. I don't know about how History is reguarded, I ignore all comments about it!

Edited by Ovidius - 18-Apr-2007 at 08:52
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 15:53
Originally posted by Paul

When I was at Uni they sent the Humanities dept into limbo on it's own small campus, 800 people, 5 miles from the rest of the Uni. With its own admin dept so we never had to visit, darken the doorstep of, be seen with, bring down the standards or shame the rest of the Uni by our mere presence in the same location.

We had several courses. Philosophy, History, English, Women's Studies, Film Studies, Carribean Studies, French and Psychology.

just too funny LOL thanks for my daily laugh
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by Paul

LOL I am so looking forward to University now!

Join us.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 15:07
I think there's only a point in going a studying history at uni if you enjoy the whole subject and the historiology (at least that's what I'd imagine...) for example, I have a VAST enthusiasm for all things classical and mesopotamian ancient history, but like any period of European history. I'd enjoy more or less any period within the one that I had chosen to study.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 11:38
History tends to have a quite easy first year, so both the high achievers are happy, and the history bums are happy as well..But I must say, those bloody english students i know from college dont drop their knickers that easily, that is of course until you start dressing in brown, grow a pubescent beard, talk slowly and cynically, and are able to tell people why a philosopher isn't any good...- then they drop their knickers!

Seriously though, I think jistory is an underrated subject, and is viewed nonchalantly in many ways by others. It's the kind of subject that you must love to do well in, because if you dont love the subject, learning the dates, names and cultural contexts becomes a chore and not an education.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 10:14
Originally posted by Ovidius

My own Personal Experience is that most Students majoring in History Love History, but hate the courses they are doing. They specifically love certain parts of History and find they can never research the stuff they want to research.

hear hear

I completely agree with that

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 09:20

You really need to be enthusiastic if you want to do history later on- the vast amoung of material and research you need to do can't be effectively done by anyone without the keenest interest.

HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 08:50
I second that motion. As much as I love history, the area you are sometimes required to study and research needs a lot of motivation and determination if it is not one in which you really find interest.

Last year, for example, in attempting to study the beginnings of British diplomacy in India, I had to do a lot of research on certain aspects of native sociology and culture during the Mughal period which I found quite tedious and unappealing at times.

Indeed, sometimes research collection, interpretation and analysing can feel quite mathmatic!
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
 Post Reply Post Reply