Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First World War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which country contributed the most among the Allies of WWI?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
7 [30.43%]
11 [47.83%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First World War
    Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 16:49
Originally posted by mamikon

Originally posted by DukeC

Germany was defeated on the battlefield in WW I.

After the withdrawl of Russia from the war in 1917 Germany was able to redeploy most of its' forces in the west for a spring offensive in 1918. This offensive came close to capturing Paris and probably knocking the French out of the war. It was eventually stopped with the help of the fresh American troops and the presense of a growing number of tanks on the battlefield. It was in this period that Allied tanks began showing up in the thousands, while Germany only produced a few dozen tanks for the entire war.

Allied offensives throughout the summer of 1918 caused severe damaged to the German army and it was only a matter of time before it collapsed, it wasn't going to go on the offensive again in WW I.

After the war the German armed forces were largley disbanded and prevented from developing beyond a very limited size and ability. The German U-boat and High Seas fleet were turned over to the Allies, many captains prefering to scuttle their craft.

It maybe true that Allies had a successful offenisve, however it doesn't mean that Germany would have been knocked out of the war.

Originally posted by DukeC

You're repeating some of the same propaganda that was used by the Nazis to justify fighting another world war.

I am repeating what I have learned in class, and my professor is Jewish not a Nazi sympathiser...

The German army was in the process of being destroyed, that's why an armistice was signed, not because of sabotage in Germany. The Germans were just as tired as the French and British and were facing the appearance of thousands of fresh American soldiers. With the introduction of British Mk IV and V tanks and Whippets as well as the French FT-17 the German army was outclassed. Germany only produced about 20 of its own A7Vs and relied on captured Allied tanks for most its armor.

It was national pride that kept many Germans from accepting that their country had been defeated.

Edited by DukeC - 15-Apr-2007 at 16:51
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 18:42
Originally posted by mamikon

Actually Germany declared war on Russia as I remember, and defeated Russia...while France declared war on Germany.
No, Germany declared war on Russia on 1 August 1914. It declared war on France on 3 August 1914.

The German war planning had made no provisions for fighting only Russia. A war with Russia automatically triggerd a German war on France. That was how the German high command had figured things out.
One must not insult the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12