Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will The U.S ever ratify the Kyoto Treaty

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What do you think?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [33.33%]
1 [11.11%]
5 [55.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will The U.S ever ratify the Kyoto Treaty
    Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 09:47
Start date set for Kyoto treaty
A man cycling past a state steel mill in Beijing, China
Developing nations like China will initially face fewer curbs on emissions
The Kyoto Protocol on fighting climate change is to become a legally binding treaty on 16 February, the UN has said.

Russia handed official ratification papers to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan in Nairobi on Thursday.

Russia's accession gives Kyoto support from countries that emit at least 55% of the world's greenhouse gases.

The protocol commits 55 industrialised nations to making significant cuts in the emission of gases such as carbon dioxide by the year 2012.

Moscow's ambassador to the UN, Andrei Denisov, handed Russia's accession papers to Mr Annan in Nairobi, where the Security Council is holding a special session.

Mr Annan described Russia's accession to the Kyoto Protocol as a "historic step forward in the world's efforts to combat a truly global threat".

The formal ratification of the protocol ended years of uncertainty over the future of the agreement, Mr Annan added.

International disagreement

The US, the world's largest emitter of greenhouse gases, withdrew from the protocol in 2001, saying it would gravely damage the US economy.

The Bush administration also criticised the protocol for not forcing developing nations including India and China to cut emissions immediately.

Australia, which has a large coal industry, has also refused to ratify Kyoto.

The protocol was first agreed in 1997, but required the agreement of countries responsible for at least 55% of global emissions measured in 1990.

After the US pulled out, the protocol could not be ratified without Russia, responsible for 17% of emissions.

Industrialised countries will have until 2012 to cut their collective emissions of six key greenhouse gases to 5.2% below the 1990 level.

But some experts have claimed that a drastic cut of around 60% is needed to avoid the worst effects of global warming.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 13:11
 I do hope so, but I don't think it will happen.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 05:55
Agreed with your point of view.To make matters worse,European scientists assert that the climate policies of the U.S is more dangerous than the international terrorism and in the last quarter of this century,some serious diasters will be waiting for our grand children...

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 06:01

Btw,it is argued that Russian Federation signed the treaty after getting european countries'support for the Russian membership to the World Trade Organization.what do you think about this arguement?and possible profits for the Russian Economy due to WTO membership.

i hope your country(as a partner of mine) will never experience  again a crises like the 1998 financial crisis in which year %30 of the Russians were in the poverty line.

Edited by TheDiplomat

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:44

you know I feel a strange parralel with Micheal Crichton on this....

we both hate our government and what to look at ways to criticize its evils....

yet global warming isnt it, because I have seen NO convincing evidence that it is a solely human caused phenomonon.  Im sorry I wont believe your house is haunted until I see a ghost, and I do not buy into sensationalism.  Heres why:  I have made my major of my studies the impact of climate on human culture and societies for last semester.  I have seen rapid climate change throughout ALL of history, even before man had industry, or even before man himself existed.  It always happens, change is a part of Earth.  Sure a small amount of this is probably now caused by humans, but not what some say.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 21:00
I agree with Tobodai, Global Warming cannot be proven, and models that predicted it have been widely incorrect many times.  Look at some of the evidence against it on the internet, it's there, and it's convincing.
Member of IAEA
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 22:01

Btw,it is argued that Russian Federation signed the treaty after getting european countries'support for the Russian membership to the World Trade Organization.what do you think about this arguement?and possible profits for the Russian Economy due to WTO membership.

i hope your country(as a partner of mine) will never experience  again a crises like the 1998 financial crisis in which year %30 of the Russians were in the poverty line.

I remember that time. 10,000 ruble bills were common and a 50,000 bought a soda or candy bar. I remember how many businesses shut down. It was a sad sight. Even if we did sign it for the economy, everybody wins. You get the treaty, we get some extra profits. ANd Putin finally learned his lesson- in Russia you can kill, torture, imprison and exile the rich and a single newspapaer will have a short colummn on it. Rob the poor, and you're setting yourself up for a revolution.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 08:04
Originally posted by Tobodai

yet global warming isnt it, because I have seen NO convincing evidence that it is a solely human caused phenomonon.  Im sorry I wont believe your house is haunted until I see a ghost, and I do not buy into sensationalism.  Heres why:  I have made my major of my studies the impact of climate on human culture and societies for last semester.  I have seen rapid climate change throughout ALL of history, even before man had industry, or even before man himself existed.  It always happens, change is a part of Earth.  Sure a small amount of this is probably now caused by humans, but not what some say.

weather degrees have been reported since 19.century.And you know what?

the hottest years to be reported are these  3 years after 1998..and the hottest years by average are reported after 1990...

Change ofcourse is part of Earth.But how possible in so rapid way?it is said millions of years later the continent Europe and the continent Africa will unite...You see....

what led to so rapid change?

CONVINCE US THEN...!

Edited by TheDiplomat

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 09:47
I don't see the US doing it anytime soon.
Not that it matters, if CO2 production is the prime cause of global climate change, then having a dozen countries pledge not to further increase prodution, whilst the rest of the planet continues to produce more and more isn't gonna make much of a difference, at the very best it gives some Pacific islanders a few more years.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 19:52
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Originally posted by Tobodai

weather degrees have been reported since 19.century.And you know what?

the hottest years to be reported are these  3 years after 1998..and the hottest years by average are reported after 1990...

Change ofcourse is part of Earth.But how possible in so rapid way?it is said millions of years later the continent Europe and the continent Africa will unite...You see....

what led to so rapid change?

CONVINCE US THEN...!

When climate changes it is far more rapid than continental shift, these are totally different things, that bear no relation.  There was a mini ice age in the 16th century, over and out in a very short amount of time. 

Also our projected temperature average is in fact getting cooler, because we are begining to dovetail back towards another ice age, not for awhile, but if the next ice age can be predicted relatively...that doesnt make much sense if you factor in the global warming hyperbole.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 20:02
Average temperature itself is a false quantity.  I can take the average temperature of cup of hot tea and a bath of ice water but it won't mean anything, that's basic thermodynamics, it's the total internal energy of a system that makes a difference.
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply