Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend me a book!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me a book!
    Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:13
Yes, i have yet to read it as well, the book club books are keeping my mighty busy Smile

Anyone else have any recommendations? 
Kilroy was here.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 15:27
Have you guys read Scarrow's book yet? I've been trying to keep patient in not constantly asking, but I see you guys went through the book club books already!Big%20smile
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 19:04
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Have you guys read Scarrow's book yet? I've been trying to keep patient in not constantly asking, but I see you guys went through the book club books already!Big%20smile

I actually haven't read it yet Embarrassed.  I got bit by the medieval bug and am currently devouring anything related to the middle ages.

Rest assured, i will get to it soon. 
Kilroy was here.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 00:10
The Rise and Fall of Napoleon Bonaparte, 2 volumes, by Robert Asprey was rather good. 
Paris 1919: 6 months that changed the world by margaret macmillian was very informative.
I'll recommend those two and call it a day or I'll end up quoting every history book I own (300+ if I'm not mistaken).
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 23:49
Kilroy I recommend that you read The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke. One of the best books I've read by the (living) science fiction legend combining history, science, technology, vision etc... Thanks for the welcome comment  a while back by the way.  Embarrassed

Also another interesting book I read a not too long ago is Weird History 101 offering a different perspective on many important historical events, it will make you laugh ( probably cynically) many times over.

Another book I really liked, but unfortunately I lost without having finished it, is Heimskringla:The Lives of the Norse Kings by Snorre Sturlason. This is probably my all-time favorite because there you have a whole recorded history from the mythical Odin to the historically proven late kings of Norway and very cold hard details on the brutality of those days. Really makes you realize how our view of life is vastly different from that in Snorri's days...

Edited by vulkan02 - 01-Aug-2007 at 00:06
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 20:51
The Belisarius Series, by Eric Flint. Wonderful alternate-history fiction.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12