Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NBA-Toronto Raptors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBA-Toronto Raptors
    Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 16:05
Anyone watch NBA, yeah, Raptors just got clinched for playoff, the only Canadian team

Edited by Siege Tower - 02-Apr-2007 at 16:05
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 16:43
It's kind of nice to see them accomplish something since the departure of Vince Carter - they may even have a halfway decent chance of advancing beyond the first round in the East, depending on who their opponent is. If they have to face Detriot, Miami, and to a lesser extent Cleveland, they may be in trouble. 
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 17:34
I've been trying to drag my girlfriend down to the ACC to catch a game but looks like I'll have to try again next yearCry. The Raptors have built a good team and getting rid of VC was one of their best moves in franchise history. It's good for the Raptors this year as well as I think the leafs are going to choke and not make the Playoffs. This means all eyes will be on the Raptors.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 18:03
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that unloading VC was one of their best franchise moves - but I'd say that one of their biggest mistakes was not keeping him happy, and not keeping McGrady. Carter is one of the league's best players when he's motivated...
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 18:41
Unloading the injury prone VC freed up a lot of cap room. The team was never going to win with him at that point as he showed no interest in winning nor did he ever show much dedication that you want from a team leader. Why should a team consult a player on who they hire for coaching and general manager? VC is a free agent after this year and there is a lot of talk that he wants to come back to Toronto. Hard to say if thats a good thing or bad though they would have to dump some cap room for sure for him. Personally I would rather they not get him as he had his chance here.

McGrady was one of those things that just happen. Would of been nice if they kept Mcgrady, but the failed to predict his future. Happens in sports all the time.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 02:38
     If the playoffs started right now the Raptors would play Miami. With Dwayne Wade starting to practice and recovering from his injury, it wouldn't be a good matchup for the Raps (or anyone). What will probably happen though is Miami will overtake Washington as the #4 seed, now that Washington has Caron Butler out for the rest of the season, and Toronto will probably play Washington in the first round. Not a bad matchup at all for Bosh and the boys, all they have to do is contain Arenas. Though I can't see them beating Detroit, Miami, Cleveland or Chicago in the second round.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:20
     The Raptors just got their ticket to the second round. Gilbert Arenas is out with season-ending knee surgery to repair a 'lateral meniscus tear' in his left knee.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:49
Between missing Arenas and Butler, it wouldn't surprise me all that much  if the Wizards drop from 6th seed to 7th. Their remaining schedule is a tough one when you remove those two players. It'd be a nice series Toronto v. New Jersey, with the whole Carter storyline. 
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:52
I've been watching Raptors since it was founded, well, I can't still believe how they missed McGrady...Carter and McGrady at the same time, would have been invincible.Once, they had Damon Stoudamire and lost him as well.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:30
It looks like the first round will indeed be interesting now that Toronto and New Jersey are set to face off. Both teams have fast pace playing styles, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 15:12
     Washington dropped to 7th like you said, Kaysaar. Toronto is going to have a tough series against New Jersey, while Cleveland gets to pick apart a helpless Washington team.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 15:33
now Jefferson in back in new jersey's lineup, do you think raptors have a chance of getting into the  second round
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:06
     New Jersey has some momentum heading into the playoffs, they had to keep winning to keep their spot. They also have 3 top notch players, and are more experienced, although if they are not in a groove, they could be in trouble (Jefferson didn't play most of the year). Its tough, I'd say New Jersey is the favorite, and I'm leaning towards them to win, although Toronto has a good shot. Its pretty clear to me in the east that Detroit and Cleveland are getting into the 2nd round. Toronto-New Jersey and especially Miami-Chicago are going to be interesting. Miami beat them in the first round last year, but Chicago is better than last year, and the Heat, due to injuries, are slightly worse this year. But they also have momentum, and are more experienced than Chicago. And being the defending champs, they have what it takes to reach down inside and pull out a victory in a clutch situation.

I can't believe the Lakers have to play Phoenix out of all the teams AGAIN this year Thumbs%20Down

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 19-Apr-2007 at 19:08

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 20:51
Toronto's big advantage over other teams is that they play face paced, so they can try to simply outrun and out speed other teams. Having Bosh as an athletic and speedy forward really helps them there. However, with Carter and Jefferson running the breaks and Kidd just being Kidd, they can play at that pace comfortably, with those long outlet passes and the like.

And without Garbajosa and Morris Peterson... even tougher.

My Picks:

New Jersey over Toronto
Miami over Chicago (Shaq playing well + Wade = a hard combo to overcome)
San Antonio over Denver
Phoenix over Los Angeles (Can't stand the Lakers, and Kobe even less)
Dallas over Golden State (although I'd prefer the warriors win)
Houston over Utah
Cleveland eats Washington alive
Detroit over Orlando

Edited by Kaysaar - 19-Apr-2007 at 20:56
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:27
well, consider the fact Toronto have homecourt adventage, i think with the return of Andrea Bargioni, the chances are even, , it's hard to tell.
 Post Reply Post Reply