Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pick one Commander and Three Generals to lead in a medieval war!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick one Commander and Three Generals to lead in a medieval war!
    Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 13:46

I'd pick Cengiz Khan as overall commander. He would sit on a hilltop overlooking his army and gain a proper view of the battlefield. His own Mongol warriors ready for action. Next, I would choose Alp Arlsan as his general of the left flank, giving encouragement to his flying Seljuks. They would strike at the enemy, roaming around in dizzying fashion only to confuse and then dash back in a feigned retreat. Sultan Beyazid II would govern the middle of the allied army. He would field a team of hand picked jannisaries positioned in a disciplined line five deep. Next and last is Timur and his deadly "Tatars" protecting the right flank, Always ready for a loud charge or swift counter attack against enemy formations.

Whew! What an army. 

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 07:27

I guess I'll go with Subotai (aka Subedei), Richard the Lion-Heart, Jalal-ad-Din, and any nameless Swiss Cantonal Captain.

Subotai was arguably the best general of his day, and his Mongol horse-archers were among the most formidable of troops in the Middle Ages. 

Richard the Lion-Heart commanded the very best Western Europe had to offer--heavy cavalry (knights) capable of out-shocking virtually all other nations' heavy cavalry (when deployed properly), and effective infantry in the form of German and Northern Italian crossbowmen protected by infantry spearmen with large shields (pavesari).  Equally significant was Richard's abilty to coordinate these various branches.  The power of the crossbow even intimidated the Mongols, according to Friar Carpini.

Jalal-ad-Din, whose Khwarizmian Turks fought in much the same manner as the Mongols.  Jalal-ad-Din also had gonads of titantium, as he proved when he spurred his horse into the Indus River when he was pursued by the Mongols.  He would therefore be in charge of Medieval spec-ops.

The nameless Swiss Cantonal Captain would be in charge of a crack force of Swiss pikemen and halberdiers.  The effectiveness of the Swiss system spoke for itself, and it enabled commanders of no special ability to win victories.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 12:24
ha, I think you greatly overestimate Richard.....
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 20:21

Oda Nobunaga would have to be C in C. Understood campaigning as much as battlefield command. Was the only general in Japan to see the flaws of the Samurai as a warrior and able to understand how to tactically integrate new technologies.

The centre would be commanded by Edward I (longshanks). First in medieval Europe to see a new method of fightng superior to feudal knights and like Oda turned to peasants to defeat nobles. His hedgehog of longbows and billmen would be rock solid in the cetre. Billmen the original halberdiers could defeat any infantry including dismounted knights and repulse any cavalry charge. The longbow could strike down anything in range.

The cavalry wings would be commanded by Genghis. Not only a great battlefield commander but guerilla leader. He could harass the enemy before and after the battle and at a campaign level play havoc with their communication and supply lines, ensuring all battles are one sided before the arnies take the field.

Jean D'Arc. Not a general, more a flag, but a flag none the less with inspirational qualities. Sometimes poorly lead army with high motivation can defeat a well led but poorly motivated one. With Jean there in her shining gold suit of platemail, white Arabian steed and dozen minders to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid or get hurt. I'll have not pnly a well led army but a fantically motivated one.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 19:13

Genghis's horse archer, Jin Wu Shu's "crippled horse" heavy cavalry, Li Shi min's "light" heavy cavalry and Yue Fei's infantry and it would be as good as a medieval army prior to firearms could get.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 13:33

Blue = Medieval

Orange = Classical

Light Infantry Balacrean Slingers, Thracian Peltasts, Agriannes javelinmen, Roman Spear Auxilia, Roman Auxiliary Slingers, and Cretan & Rhodian Mercenary Archers and Slingers

Heavy Cavalry Companion cavalry, French Paladins, Ottoman sipahis, Elite Ghulams, Teutonic Knights, Russian Boyars, Byzantine Cataphracts (Kataphrakto) & Stratiotai, Ala Singulares, Heteroi & Thessalian cavalry

Light Cavalry Numidian cavalry, Mongol Horse Archers, Polish strzelcy (mounted crossbowmen), turkopoles, and Spanish Hoblars, Mercenary Tarentine cavalry, Paeonian scouts

Archers Chinese Professional Composite Bowmen, Cho Ku Nus, Han Crossbowmen with grid sights, English & Welsh Longbowmen, Scythian foot archers, and Geonese & North Italian Crossbowmen, Pavise Arbalesters

Artillery Roman Ballistas, Chinese Trebuchets and pao-shou catapults

Heavy Infantry Guarding the Center Scottish Pikemen, English Billmen, Swiss Halberdiers (Reislaufer), German landsknechts, and African (Libyan) & Macedonian Phalangites

Heavy Infantry Guarding the Flanks Roman Legionaries (Trajan Era), English Men at Arms, and Spanish Sword-and-Buckler men (rodeleros)

Reserve/Special infantry A Select Band of Janissaries, a bodyguard made up of Samurai, and The Sacred Band and a select band of Spartan Hoplites

Field Commanders Edward I Longshanks, Edward the Black Prince, & Richard the Lion-Heart (Left Flank), Epaminondas, Cyrus, Alexander, & Phillip (Center), Jalal-ad-Din, Alp Arlsan, & Sultan Beyazid II (Right Flank), Hannibal (Overall Field Command)

Strategic Commanders Subotai & Genghis Khan, Scipio & Hannibal, Simon de Montfort, Edward IV, Belisarius, Heraclius Fabius c**tator

Political Aides: Demosthenes, Hyperides of Athens, and Gaius Marius & Julius Caesar (excellent at politics and diplomacy, I could depend on these guys to fill in across the board so Im covered from any pesky lawsuits)

Siege engineers Imperial Cohorts (for engineering purposes), minghan engineers, Persian Engineers, Archimedes (for some uber-sophisticated machinery), Diognetus of Rhodes and Epimachus of Athens (Epimachus built the helepolis for Demetrius, and until the imperial era, the Rhodians, Chinese, and Persians were bar none the most innovative artillery engineers)

Whew! What an army
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:03
I'll take Chinggis as commander. Then I'll have Sbetai, Jebe and Mukhali as commander. If I had to take commanders from different nations I'd go for Jelal al-Din of khwarazm, Baybars of the mamluks and Algirdas of the Lithuanians
Tiamatty View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiamatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 09:04

Depends on the circumstances who I'd have as commander. In a defensive battle, Lu Xun. In an offensive battle Scipio Africanus.

Regardless, the 3 generals are easy. Zhao Yun, Julius Caesar and Zhang Liao.

The commander would lead the vanguard, while Zhao Yun and Julius Caesar taking the flanks. Zhang Liao would take a small force and circle around to the enemy rear for an ambush, throwing the enemy into disarray. Simple, perhaps, but often effective.

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 21:57
Overall commander would be Flavius Belisarius because in my opinion, he is the best general before the gunpowder age.
For the three generals, I would have Julius Ceasar lead the infantry because of his experience with the mostly heavy infantry legions. Alexander the Great would lead my cavalry for obvious reasons. Lastly, I would have Scipio Africanus lead my auxiliaries because of his ability to whip his soldiers into shape and would make sure the auxiliaries are kept in line.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 00:44

I love your topic!!!

Personally, I'd agree with Mangudai.  The command of Genghis Khan, with Subotai, Jebe, and Muquali as subordinate generals, proved  strongly effective.  I would have to agree that picking generals from different nationalities would never be realistic because they would feud against each other.

How about: Commander= Genghis Khan, Generals= Batu, Hulagu, and Kublai.  Works equally well as the combo with Subotai, Jebe, and Muquali.  All in the family.

What about: Commander = Gandoff, Generals = Aragon, Legolas, and Gemini?  Oops, off topic.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 04:32

Julius Caesar isn't medieval by the way.

I go for and all french  and european line up.

Commander will be Lion heart

Left flank with Philip II of France, middle William the conqueror and the right flank Edward platagenet (Longshank)

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 08:56

To be true, then neither is Scipio or Hannibal or Caeser (any) Medieval.

Still, the throne of commander could be given to Aleksander Nevski of Vladimir-Suzdal, and posts of generals to Birger Jarl, Roger de Flor and  Batu-Khan.

@ Poirot: What wee you tlaking aobut in your last sentence?

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 09:40
Originally posted by rider

To be true, then neither is Scipio or Hannibal or Caeser (any) Medieval.

Yes, I did not realize that the topic said 'medieval'. Sorry about that. I'll be more careful.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 13:40

Nothing... just being... annoyance.

Post Reply Post Reply