Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Imperialism in Africa via Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperialism in Africa via Europe
    Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 17:44
Hello there, I need some help:  What were the pros and cons of Imperialism in Africa to the Europeans (mainly british, german, and french) and the pros and cons for the african people. 

you can provide me with your own knowledge or a place where I can find this information myself
thanks alot
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 22:18
Well, that`s a very general question and you can`t simply categorize as the `pros and cons` as if your were dealing with a simple decision. You should probably read some books on the subject, because one can easily write one. Why don`t you start with some general hsitories of Africa, I recommend books written by Kevin Shillington or Basil Davidson.
Alternatively, you can quickly check out the African history articles written on the xenohistorian website. Just do a google search with those keywords.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2011 at 19:05
Imperialism was largely bad as the European regimes exploited the colonies. However, it also had some beneficial effects. The British provided education and modern technology while reforming the law and suppressing barbaric practises like human sacrifice. Without the British, places like India would be a collection of backward, warring states ruled by corrupt despots
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Bulldog69 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulldog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2011 at 04:19
Largely bad?
That is a massively sweeping statement, though you do go onto to explain that it wasn't actually that bad at all.

British colonisation of (eg) Rhodesia in 1890 catapulted a people who lived in the iron age and who had not even invented the wheel into the modern era in a few years. Literacy, rule of law, education, banking, currency, roads, railways, bridges, harbours, airports, health care, vaccinations, democracy etc etc etc would still be unknown in Africa were it not for British / European colonisation. Slavery was also widespread and was stamped out by the colonisers of the Victorian era. It was a period of progress unknown in human history: we are often told that the Roman invasion of Britain was a good thing as it brought so many advances ... well, the Colonial period did that for Africa a hundred times over.

Some colonisers were much more altruistic than others, of course - the British were possibly the fairest, while the Boers, Germans and the Belgians were among the worst.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 19:18
Originally posted by Bulldog69

Largely bad?
That is a massively sweeping statement, though you do go onto to explain that it wasn't actually that bad at all.

British colonisation of (eg) Rhodesia in 1890 catapulted a people who lived in the iron age and who had not even invented the wheel into the modern era in a few years. Literacy, rule of law, education, banking, currency, roads, railways, bridges, harbours, airports, health care, vaccinations, democracy etc etc etc would still be unknown in Africa were it not for British / European colonisation. Slavery was also widespread and was stamped out by the colonisers of the Victorian era. It was a period of progress unknown in human history: we are often told that the Roman invasion of Britain was a good thing as it brought so many advances ... well, the Colonial period did that for Africa a hundred times over.

Some colonisers were much more altruistic than others, of course - the British were possibly the fairest, while the Boers, Germans and the Belgians were among the worst.

The Belgians were by far the worst colonisers. Their barbaric enslavement of the Africans inspired Conrad's book Heart of Darkness
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2012 at 19:22
Even Herge supported Belgian colonialism. Before the Nazis invaded he wrote a very racist Tintin book intended to indoctrinate white children:
Tintin in the congo
Afrohistory View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Afrohistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2012 at 14:26
Originally posted by Bulldog69

Largely bad?

Dude. No. By this post it just show how uneducated you are of Africa's history. I think you need to hit the books and stay off of Stormfront.

To start:
Ancient Egypt
Songhai
Ancient Kushities
Monomotopa
Mali empire

and much, much more. Just take the time and research.

Post Reply Post Reply