Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marriage
    Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 11:13
Hi all,
        I was wondering whether the European society in the middle ages (or earlier) practised arranged marriage. If so, then when/how did this practise die out?

Thanks
Q
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Online Status: Offline
  Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 18:03
Happened all the time, consolidation of power.

Edited by malizai_ - 27-Mar-2007 at 18:03
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 02:30
Mariage in every classes was arranged. At the highest ranks of society (see the twenty something Philip II of Spain marrying the Fifty something and about to die Queen of Englan) but as well as at the lowest ones peasants marrying peasants' daughters to unify a field.

All changed (slowly) with the emergence of the individual. Several factors were at stake:
History of ideas: the rise of romantism from the mid 18th century. The setback of religiosity was also important.
The industrial revolution: what you are (human capital, ie your skills) is more important that what you own (particularly significant when land was the fixed factor of production).
Urbanization: migration to the cities broke the traditional social frameworks.
The recognition by the law of the independence of the personal responsability.

I guess there were other things but it is all I can think of right now.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 16:03
thanks for the replies Smile
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 08:57
It is perhaps interesting to note that in Europe (and I imagine elsewhere to a certain extent) Marriage was a financial matter. Making sure a marriage was legal, recognsed and binding was vital for the rich and powerful because of inheritance and such. For the poor, with little posessions, marriage was a far more informal business.

Before the eleventh century, marriage was strictly business. Because power and kingship (in the Germanic world) was not regulated by primogeniture (first-born right), but by power-struggles within the royal family, bigamy was not uncommon. Charlemagne had several wives at once. He also allowed his daughters as many lovers as they wished, but no marriages, as husbands could try a claim for the throne, as lovers could not.

In the eleventh century, the church began a reorm program designed to give the popes in Rome more power over the institute of the church. One of their main points was stricter regulation of peoples private lives through enforcement of clerical celibacy (considered as optional before) and the enforcement of official marriage. It is from this time onwards that marriage was considered a sacrement and church business, instead of a private one.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply