Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mansur Hallaj

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mansur Hallaj
    Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 06:03

He was a great man. Today is the day of his death. He had killed because he said Enel Hak(İ am God). 

He was born around 858 in Tur, Persia to a cotton-carder (Hallaj means "cotton-carder" in Arabic). Al-Hallaj's grandfather may have been a Zoroastrian. His father lived a simple life, and this form of lifestyle greatly interested the young al-Hallaj. As a youngster he memorized the Qur'an and would often retreat from worldly pursuits to join other mystics in study.

Hallaj would later marry and make a pilgrimage to Mecca, where he stayed for one year, facing the mosque, in fasting and total silence. After his stay at the holy city, he traveled extensively and wrote and taught along the way. He travelled as far as India and Central Asia gaining many followers, many of which accompanied him on his second and third trips to Mecca. After this period of travel, he settled down in the Abbasid capital of Baghdad.

During his early lifetime he was a disciple of Junayd and Amr al-Makki, but was later rejected by them both.

Among other Sufis, Hallaj was an anomaly. Many Sufi masters felt that it was inappropriate to share mysticism with the masses, yet Hallaj openly did so in his writings and through his teachings. He would begin to make enemies, and the rulers saw him as a threat. This was exacerbated by times when he would fall into trances which he attributed to being in the presence of God. During one of these trances, he would utter Ana al-Haqq أنا الحق, meaning "Truth is me" or "I am God" and also, "In my turban is wrapped nothing but God," which was taken to mean that he was claiming to be God, as Al-Haqq is one of the Ninety Nine Names of Allah. In another statement, Hallaj would point to his cloak and say, "Maa Fil Jubbati Illa-Allah" meaning "There is nothing inside/underneath the cloak except God."

This utterance would lead him to a long trial, and subsequent imprisonment for eleven years in a Baghdad prison. In the end, he would be tortured and publicly crucified (in some accounts he was beheaded and his hands and feet were cut off) by the Abbasid rulers for what they deemed "theological error threatening the security of the state." Many accounts tell of Al-Hallaj's calm demeanor even while he was being tortured, and indicate that he forgave those who had executed him. According to some sources, [attribution needed] he went to his execution dancing in his chains. He died on March 26, 922.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 10:00
meaning "Truth is me" or "I am God"

It is 'i am the truth' or 'i am on the truth'. Not "I am God"

"In my turban is wrapped nothing but God," 

There is nothing in mind by God.

"Maa Fil Jubbati Illa-Allah" meaning "There is nothing inside/underneath the cloak except God."

There is nothing inside me but god, or i am at one with God.(Not God).

He is much understood, as he was in his days. Sufis use of language is a science in itself, that does not lend itself to an easy understanding.

He was not a heretic but an obsessive Sufi, who thought about nothing but God. His was a sorry end largely because he deliberately refused to dispel the suspicions surrounding him, which he hoped would make him a  martyr.(A bit twisted if you ask me)

SIDE NOTE: A lot of latter day Sufis also stand accused of ascribing miracles and acts, defying both laws of physics and common sense to personalities associated with Sufism. As proof of the special favor gained through the closeness with God, that can supposedly be achieved by Sufi mysticism.

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 10:23

Yeap sorry for wrong translations, İ coppy it from wikipedia.Geek

But i am shure Ana al-Haqq أنا الحق means İ am God. Haqq means God isnt it?Ermm He said that because he belived that God was in his soul(İn every humans soul actually)

He is not twisted if you ask meApprove 
İ like his ideas.Thumbs%20Up
traveler View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 10:59
Haqq is the Truth. It is also one God's names like,AL Khalik, Al Jamil, an so on.

http://www.tavaf.com/esma.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Names_of_God

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 19:17
Originally posted by erkut

Yeap sorry for wrong translations, İ coppy it from wikipedia.Geek

But i am shure Ana al-Haqq أنا الحق means İ am God. Haqq means God isnt it?Ermm He said that because he belived that God was in his soul(İn every humans soul actually)

He is not twisted if you ask meApprove 
İ like his ideas.Thumbs%20Up

It is his 'idea' of this closeness through martyrdom(perceived) that is twisted , to allow oneself to be put to death without tangible resultant benefit, seems like a waste of life to me(IMHO). Haqq means truth as pointed out. Haqq as God's name is just a discussion of his attributes, as would be 'the painter' or 'the creator'. It does not mean his name is 'painter' or 'creator'. There have been numerous cases of people claiming divinity, in case of a person who would be willing to embrace death, it sort of seems illogical for him not to declare so openly.

The truth stems from Sufic philosophy of absolute truth, which they believe is only god, as the absolute truth; as all else perishes. To speak of oneself as truth is not humility, to recognize god is to recognize oneself and hence ones relationship with god.

There is from time to time rare incidents of some Sufi pretender claiming that no formal worship is required, that mysticism alone is enough(usually charlatans passing themselves of sages and deriving material benefit from their followers, in turn promising all sorts of spiritual benefits, even paradise).Hallaj was not one of them AFAIK.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 19:21
BTW, i think this might be in the wrong section.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 15:48
Originally posted by malizai_

BTW, i think this might be in the wrong section.
ConfusedConfusedConfused Opps sorry. But i am sure i opened that topic in litearature part, how did this comed to architecture?
 Post Reply Post Reply