Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greeks???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greeks???
    Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 19:19
Originally posted by Anton

So, basic conclusion is that professor Arnaiz-Villena is respected scientist whether his conclusions are true or not. 

I agree with Anton that good professionals can make bad calls.  Happens all the time.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 19:24
Originally posted by Hellios

I agree with Anton that good professionals can make bad calls.  Happens all the time.

And some people also believe that compromising of a scientist may compromise his results. This is obviously wrong -- every educated person see the difference between personality and what he is doing. One can find many examples.
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 03:47

There are scientific researches on this subject. One of the well known of it is:

Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization (The Fabrication of Ancient Greece 1785-1985, Volume 1) of Martin Bernal.

It is a quit nice and well documented book. I recommend you to read it. You will see how our perceptions can be manipulated.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 04:54
Originally posted by Alparslan

You will see how our perceptions can be manipulated. 

Manipulated is the key work here. Black Athena is a bad joke as a book and dismissed by most academics. Still it can manipulate someone with no knowledge of history (it can do even worse to someone who knows some history and considers himself an expoert)
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:45
This isnt a very common Greek look..
http://dienekes.angeltowns.net/pictures/greekwomen/fani_drakopoulou.jpg

Hellios where are those soccer teams from ?

Also some of them players look slightly asiatic, Turkish prhaps.

Edited by think - 17-Apr-2007 at 05:49
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by Alparslan

There are scientific researches on this subject. One of the well known of it is:

Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization (The Fabrication of Ancient Greece 1785-1985, Volume 1) of Martin Bernal.

It is a quit nice and well documented book. I recommend you to read it. You will see how our perceptions can be manipulated.

Bernal is a linguist, not an archaeologist. His theories are based on plausibility (he admitts that himself on the opening chapter on the book), not fact.
A number of authors/scholars have countered Bernal's claims in a convincing way. Among others:
-Article by Robert L. Pounder entitled "Black Athena 2: History Without Rules" in The American Historical Review, Vol. 97, No 2 (April 1992)
-The most profound renouncement in my oppinion: "Black Athena Revisited" by Mary R. Lefkowitz and Guy McLean Rogers. Excellent arguments.
-Jacques Berlinerblau "Heresy in the University: The Black Athena Controversy and the Responsibilities of American Intellectuals", 1999

About a dozen articles by  various authors can be found here: www.worldagesarchive.com/Indivindual%20Web%20Pages/BlackAthena.html
One of the most interesting is Mary R Lefkowitz's counter-response to Bernal's response to his critics. I like this woman!

Edited by konstantinius - 20-Apr-2007 at 17:59
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 18:05
Also some of them players look slightly asiatic, Turkish prhaps.

Please clarify which players you are talking about. I am really interested in your analysis of the phenotypes of certain peoples.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12