Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz X, parte 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz X, parte 3
    Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 22:25
My vote goes for #8. Loved it obscure interesting reading, well worded all the good things.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 07:42
My vote goes to the Chachapoya question.
My first answer to that question was Mixtecs, which is Nahuatl for Cloud people, so I was sort of close. After that I tried almost all civilizations that were conquered by the Aztecs, until the hint revealed it was an Andean civilization
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 08:54
Total Quiz X Part 3 Awards

Moderator awards

Dedication and Gratitude Awards to Dawn and Mixcoatl, for quickly submitting questions after the database had been deleted, thus effectively making it possible to held the quiz as planned instead of postponing it again.

Rookie Awards to cavalry4ever, Komenos and sahaliyan, for dominating the field even though it is their first attempt at the Quiz!

The S. Holmes Award for Deductive Reasoning to Komnenos, for his thinking behind the only correct of 45 submitted answers on question 13:

Well,Celsius, was the first person I thought of, but I couldn't find any mentioning of him haven written a SF novel, but I thought it must be him, cause you are Swedish and he is Swedish and only the Swedes have probably heard of it!

Score based awards

Best Question Award
 goes to Question 9, about Jeanne d'Anjou. Thus no points will be awarded for best question this time. I'll add gold star in my CV though.

Main Award - Winner of Total Quiz X part 3 to... Komnenos (Result in front page)

Congratulations to all winners!

Lots of players this time, and many new one. Hope you had fun, at least I had

Edited by Styrbiorn
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 09:37
It was great fun indeed, and many thanks for running the whole thing.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 10:24
It took a lot of dedication to make this as interesting and fun as it was.
Thanks to all organizers of this quiz.

Edited by cavalry4ever
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 10:43
Congratuations to all participants!

...and to Styrbjorn and the questions contributors for this quiz possible. Participation was better than it was in the last quiz, so good Job!

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 11:56

Definately not my quiz. I wrote 'cloud people' in the first round, then just before I posted added 'Zapotec' as a point of clarity, (who were also known as cloud people by the Aztecs, were conquered by them and the Spanish). Or the second round I came up with Rainbow people conquered by the Inka and Spanish. (Rainbow people, pretty modern hippy, huh?).

And the General Wolfe (my town's local statue) answer, he was my first thought, then I changed my mind....

Thought the Celsius question was a bit misleading, it implied in the reference to Jules Verne that he answer was the first person ever to write a sci fi novel that happened on another planet. And there were several people before Celsius.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 12:13
Thank you to everyone who was involved with this quiz in any way, especially Styrbiorn.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 13:37
Just to ensure you won't feel cheated.

Originally posted by Paul

Definately not my quiz. I wrote 'cloud people' in the first round, then just before I posted added'Zapotec' as a point of clarity, (who were also known as cloud peopleby the Aztecs, were conquered by them and the Spanish). Or the second round I came up with Rainbow people conquered by the Inka and Spanish. (Rainbow people, pretty modern hippy, huh?).

Cloud People weren't accepted - Chachapoya was. The Mixtecs were indeed called Cloud People by the Aztecs, but they didn't fit in since they were neither known to be pale-faced or are extinct - there are still a half a million of them around, whereas the Chachapoya only left us ruins.

Originally posted by Paul

Thought the Celsius question was a bit misleading, it implied in the reference to Jules Verne that he answer was the first person ever to write a sci fi novel that happened on another planet. And there were several people before Celsius.

Some questions are designed to be misleading, but in this case I simply do not agree with you.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 13:50
Some questions are designed to be misleading, but in this case I simply do not agree with you.

I've noticed that compared to some older tests, the trend has become more "riddle-like," with broad definitions rather than keywords that will easily lead to search engine results.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 14:03
Yeah, it's an evolution to counter the too-easily found "Where did king X die?". With a "riddle" approach you can at least try to ensure that you need a bit of historical knowledge to know where to start looking.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 16:09

Congrats. Komnens excellant playing.  Thank you again Styrboirn for running the quiz it was fun as always I think I only pm you once right at the end must be a new record To all the new players - well played it was great to see you here ,look forward to playing again. 

Paul that bit with not guessing an answer that came to you right off. It happens to all of us once or twice then you learn to drive Stryboirn crazy with a million of them. It's our revenge for all those tough questions he makes up.   My first time I didn't realize that I could answer more than once and did not guess at one question because I wasn't sure but my guess would have been correct - that question about william the conqueror  still hate that I got it wrong

I agree with stryboirn on the evolution thing with the ease of google it gives some challange to the quiz

Edited by Dawn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 16:17
Originally posted by Dawn

Paul that bit with notguessing an answer that came to you right off. It happens to all of us once or twice then you learn to drive Stryboirn crazy with a millionof them. It's our revenge for all those tough questions he makes up. My first time I didn't realize that I could answer more than once and did not guess at one question because I wasn't sure but my guess would have been correct - that question about william the conqueror still hate that I got it wrong

Yes, an art you have perfected since then, my dear Norwego-Canadien.

---

I'll see if we can held the next part within 1-2 months, to compensate for the almost half a years' wait since the last.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 18:20
I'll help out with the question writing.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 04:42

I'm really happy to see the come back of our Total Quiz .

Although I have not enough time for the full-scale participation  I have found the questions really difficult.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 09:44
since we need questions perhaps a sticky thread that is locked with a link to to the submition form would be a good idea .
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 10:46
Good idea. I'll do it as soon the site allows me to start a new topic (slooow).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345