Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Formula 1 - a Great Waste of Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula 1 - a Great Waste of Time
    Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 06:52

Im a big formula 1 fan, I remember watching Senna qualify in the wet at Donnington for the European gp, he gave it absolutely everything, but couldnt match the two Williams of Prost & Hill and eventually crashed his McLarren trying. He gave us all a wave as he sat on the back of the recovery vehicle on the way back to the pits.

The Melbourne GP wasnt the most exciting Ive ever watched but it was a fantastic result for Lewis Hamilton finishing third in his first GP.

My local team Williams did pretty well in 7th, hopefully they will have a better year than last.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 06:58
Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

One of the most exciting games to watch on TV has to be Lawn Bowls.

Interesting you should say that Omar, it actually isn't that bad to watch!

I personally am a great fan of the World Championships Snooker. Very peaceful. Right up there in the list of soothing programmes with Attenboroughs Life of Mammals and Animal Cops. Big%20smile

Now the only sports that can hold my interest for more that a minute is Speed Skating.

For obvious reasons....TongueLOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 08:24
Have to admit you, to watch speed-skatingis very satisfying, for several resons...

Anni Friesinger (german's Speed-Skateing Star)

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 20-Mar-2007 at 08:26

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 01:22
I love formula 1 have been watching it for years, not so much here in USA since time difference etc, but in Germany I used to watch it every Sunday. It's not only in circles, the races are usually very intricate, very detiailed, and it is skill and brains that wins a race not horsepower. It's much better than NASCAR, that hick crap is is a pointless circle race where they take left turns all day long no techniques at all.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 01:39
I agree!!

Formula one is about the best DRIVER.

Nascar is just about running fast.

No comparison is possible.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 05:16

Pinguin,

Sure... the Driver is important... but... Formula 1 is not only about the Driver... Don't forget that it is a Team Sport!

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 05:52
Car races are actually a competition between Engineers.

Originally posted by Elfi

I personally am a great fan of the World Championships Snooker. Very peaceful. Right up there in the list of soothing programmes with Attenboroughs Life of Mammals and Animal Cops. Big%20smile

Now the only sports that can hold my interest for more that a minute is Speed Skating.

Snookers peaceful, until someone leaves some coins of the table, the ball hits them, lifts of the table, and smashes into the drink machine at high speed.

Since you measured Speed Skating, I have to mention Steven Bradbury*. The associated verb, to do a Bradbury, which is where you have Buckleys chances** at doing something and then actually doing it, (kinda like Buckley actually), and then the philosophical statement Even Bradbury had to make the final

*http://www.elitesports.com.au/new/athlete_profiles/011.html
**http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/51/messages/978.html
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 06:19
Ah yes. I remember him. He was that short-tracker who won because all his opponents fell over...LOL That was great entertainment. I specifically remember the scene in the background: Bradbury was crossing the line, looking surprised at having won, and in the back you could see two others, still fighting for second place, crawling over each other, trying to get up, falling down again, and trying to cross the line on their stomacks. Great fun.

But I watch the long track more: the 400 metres track. I prefer the long distances: 5000 m. and 10.000 m. The sprint (500m) is so fast, when you blink your eyes it is over....

I also like the long distance skaters more. They are taller. I am a great fan of the human anatomy. Especially skaters anatomy. Nice muscled behinds. WinkLOL

Edited by Aelfgifu - 21-Mar-2007 at 06:21

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 21:13
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Pinguin,

Sure... the Driver is important... but... Formula 1 is not only about the Driver... Don't forget that it is a Team Sport!

Yes, you are right!

And just compare the way the Formula one teams work at the stops, a precision ballet! Compare that with the amateur way team attend cars in the oval racing in the U.S. LOL
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 13:09
no- i'm not a fan

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 04:26
Formula one is brilliant...only gaelic football, hurling and soccer are better sports in my opinion.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 04:47
Gah and hurling aren't that great, not as good as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_Friday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12