Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How the Monster Squid Was Caught

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How the Monster Squid Was Caught
    Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 17:49
How the Colossal Squid Was Caught
How the worlds largest squid was caughtand the bidding war for the exclusive footage slated to be shown this spring.
WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Matthew Philips
Newsweek
Updated: 5:35 p.m. ET March 7, 2007
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633089037317000000');

March 07, 2007 - John Bennett is used to the monotony. As captain of a New Zealand commercial fishing boat, hes accustomed to spending months at a time afloat in the Antarctic Ocean, staring atwell, nothing. Just ice really, lots and lots of ice, says Bennett. Sometimes, not even a seabird. On a particularly calm day in late January, Bennett was tending to his deep-sea fishing lineseach one 2,000 meters long (nearly a mile and a quarter), and sporting up to 10,000 baited hooksin hopes of a major toothfish haul. Suddenly, the calm was shatteredby the sight of a colossal squid surfacing near the stern. The beast, a 33-foot-long adult male weighing half a ton, had wrapped itself around one of Bennetts lines. It was just this great big brown shape, recalls Bennett, who was watching from the bridge. It came up right alongside us. Everyone was yelling and screaming.

Bennett hurried to the deck to confer with Geoff Dolan, an observer from the New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries who was on board. International law requires that anything caught in Antarctic waters must be kept onboard and documented to guard against overfishing. So Bennett really didnt have a choice but to haul in the squid. We decided to get him onboard in as good a condition as we could, says Bennett. If wed released him, he wouldnt have survived. By then the crew had gaffed the creature in an attempt to get it off the line. But its grip was tight, both on the line and on the five-foot-long toothfish he was eating. He wasnt giving up that fish, says Bennett. When we finally pulled him in, the fish was half-eaten.

What Bennett and his crew pulled in that day turned out to be the largest colossal squid ever recoveredcause for considerable excitement aboard his ship, the San Aspiring, and around the world. As word of the catch spread late last month, the news wires buzzed with squidmania. WORLDS LARGEST INVERTEBRATE CAPTURED read the headlines. If cut up for calamari, the stories said, the squid would produce rings the size of tractor tires. As word got out that the catch had actually been recorded on video, Bennett found himself in the middle of an international bidding war.

The colossal squid, it seems, is one of those creatures that captures our imagination, largely because it is so rarely captured. Including Bennetts catchand a 20-foot female he found floating dead in 2003only a handful have ever been recovered. Most of them were just damaged fragmentsa tentacle here, a dorsal fin there. The species wasn't even identified until 1925, when pieces of one were found inside the stomach of a sperm whale. More than a century after Jules Verne popularized the creature as a mythic, ship-wrecking monster in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea," the colossal squid remains very much a scientific mystery.

We know relatively nothing about them, admits Steve OShea, director of the Earth and Oceanic Sciences Research Institute at the Auckland University of Technology and one of the worlds leading squid experts. O'Shea says they are as long as their cousins, the giant squid, but much heavierand, O'Shea believes, more aggressive predators. Bennett's first catch helped fill in some blanks; his latest catch, at 990 pounds, is nearly three times the weight of his last. Which verifies what many scientists have suspected for years but never had the evidence to prove: these creatures get much, much larger than previously believed.

Its a point that OShea has been arguing for some time. He often examines the stomach contents of whales stranded off the coast of New Zealand and says that hes found a large number of colossal squid beaks that were clearly from specimens considerably larger than anything ever caught. Three years ago he proposed that a colossal squid could grow as big as half a ton. The reaction of his colleagues? The scientific community laughed at me, he says.

But a half-ton squid was no laughing matter to Bennett and his crew. Getting it aboard took nearly two hours. It was slippery, Bennett said, much more "gelatinous" than his previous squid quarry. Though he says he never felt threatened by the creature, Bennett did get a close-up view of its massive beak, which he believes could have easily crunched his forearm. Being alongside a creature like this is just awesome, he says. Its easy to see why outlandish stories about them get stretched out.

Dolan, the Ministry of Fisheries observer, remembers being surprised at how docile and sluggish the squid was. It really didnt put up much of a fight, he says. Its tentacles were moving back and forth, but thats about it. It certainly wasnt grabbing crew members and pulling them back into the sea.

As it happens, Bennett had brought along a video camera in order to film a small documentary about Antarctic toothfishing for a New Zealand TV station (thats Chilean sea bass to you and me). He was able to capture a good bit of footage of the squid being hauled in. Bennett confirms that a production company in Auckland bought the footage, though he declines to specify what he was paid. An official with the Ministry of Fisheries told NEWSWEEK that offers to buy the footage had been pouring in and that some were longer than a telephone number. Bennett said that a documentary featuring the coveted footage should be released sometime in April.

Once aboard, the squid was lowered into the ships cargo hold and put on ice for the next two weeks as Bennett and his crew chugged 1,700 miles back to the southern coast of New Zealand. The squid remains frozen solid as preparations are being made to hand it over to the Museum of New Zealand in Wellington. That should happen on March 11, OShea says. But first, museum officials have to figure out how to store the thing. The problem is we havent seen it yet, says museum spokesperson Jane Keig. We need to get it here to see how well preserve it.

That wont be easy, says OShea. Were dealing with a 450-kilogram frozen lump of flesh. Weve got to have a specially designed tank constructed. OShea estimates that it could take up to four days for the squid to completely thaw out, a delicate process that will leave him and his colleagues only a small time frame in which to take samples and examine it. Still, those precious minutes could prove more valuable than years worth of colossal squid research. The scientific value is enormous. Itll more than double our knowledge, says OShea, who hopes the research will shed light on the species hunting and mating behavior, its age and its intelligence (which OShea already suspects to be fairly negligible). The brain of a 275-kilogram giant squid is only about 20 grams and shaped like a doughnut, he says, Theres not a lot of comprehension going on up there. Might the colossal squid be brighter than its smaller cousin? Doubtful, says OShea. In all likelihood, its one of the stupidest creatures in the sea.

As OShea prepares to study the half-ton specimen, he remains convinced there are bigger squids still to be found at sea. Theres probably a female out there thats a full ton, he says, noting that females tend to be half again as large as their male counterparts. Until Bennett sails again, it seems, the half-ton specimen will just have to do.

var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('

URL: '+url+'

');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17506125/site/newsweek/?GT1=9145

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 15:21
Ah, so that's how they got the squid. I was wondering how they got it, since they are suppose to live deep underground...

Join us.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 05:17

WOW! That Squid is HUGE!

Now why can't I catch a Squid like that? Maybe I'm using the wrong Bait, because the ones I catch are Pathetic compared to that one!...

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 05:44
Yes I have to admit, that is definitely a large specimen. As for how we will be able to find real ones is a trickier concept. Deep sea expeditions and surveying (GPS and sat-nav/sonar) are a possible way to capture one of these monumental beasts on camera. I think a project should be run to find these creatures, unlocking the 'mysteries of the deep' in the process.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 05:52
International law requires that anything caught in Antarctic waters must be kept onboard and documented to guard against overfishing.

Eeehm, isnt this a bit self-contradictory? "Well, we want to preserve life, so lets kill whatever we come across."

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 06:04
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

International law requires that anything caught in Antarctic waters must be kept onboard and documented to guard against overfishing.

Eeehm, isnt this a bit self-contradictory? "Well, we want to preserve life, so lets kill whatever we come across."

Exactly Aelfgifu! Kind of reminds me of the situation at the Lecha Giya (sp?) caves in the USA. They have decided to close them to the public and most scientists too, for this reason - "We want to preserve it for everyone to see in the future". This basically means that they want to preserve it for no apparent reason, as they have said it will not be opened at all. Very strange if you ask me.
"No access - we are preserving these caves for future generations to have no access"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 12:26
I'd say the man was just justifying bringing the squid in, what the rule on over-fishing is in Ireland, and according to the common fisheries policy from the Eu, once your quota has been filled any surplus catch must be returned to the water, even if it is dead and valuable for sale.

If the fisherman doesnt comply he's liable for a huge fine and the loss of their fishing licence. So i'd say the man was bluffing a little, because what he said was totally impractiable- like saying that a black rhino got caught in a snare, so we won't release it, we'll take it in and kill it to document its hunting. 
At best, the international law states that a creature caught must be tagged on-board and re-relaeased, but this is not the job of commercial fishermen, but of scientists and conversationists.

Cool squid though.
 Post Reply Post Reply