Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Lost Tomb of Jesus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lost Tomb of Jesus
    Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 22:24
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Penelope

Also, if Jesus died and a year later his bones were transferred to an ossuary, and this ossuary was placed in a Jerusalem family tomb, this would mean that all the early Christian martyrs, including the apostles, knowingly died for a fraudulent religion.

No it doesn't.
It means they died for a different reason than what you were told. eg, they died for their religion which is not the same one the Church teaches nowadays.

Now, now Omar. We both know that the issue you have raised is an entirely separate discussion (and a lengthy one at that Wink). It is also a matter of historical interpretation.

-Akolouthos
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 01:15
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Penelope

Also, if Jesus died and a year later his bones were transferred to an ossuary, and this ossuary was placed in a Jerusalem family tomb, this would mean that all the early Christian martyrs, including the apostles, knowingly died for a fraudulent religion.

No it doesn't.
It means they died for a different reason than what you were told. eg, they died for their religion which is not the same one the Church teaches nowadays.

In that case, what exactly did they die for?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 05:24
Well as Ako says, thats an entirely seperate discussion thats subject to enorumous speculatation.

I was just pointing out the circular argument of your post.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 08:09
Fair enough.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 08:49
Did anyone read the German book 'Das Jesus Video'? This reminds me a lot of it...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 14:43
Originally posted by Seko

They were common names yes. However, the documentary which airs Sunday night, statistically throws light on the rare probability that those family names are not so common when grouped together.

I dont know... the experts at the Israeli Antiquities Authority saw the "evidence"  in 1982 and did not get excited at all.   This "nothing unusual" finding by the IAA was also supported by two experts that followed the show (both secular Christians with no religous agenda)

Though matters of faith can't be proven one way or the other, evidently even the basic data (common names including the dimmunitive of Joseph) were being stretched to fit the producer's  theory.  The inclusion of more advanced data (the names of Mary Magdelene and James) were even more of a stretch.   Despite the producers "very stretched science",  I thought the acting (using local Arab acting talent) in the recreations was very good.  The producer is a far better film maker than a scientific archaeologistWink.

A  question for Moslems or knowledgable others....

What does the Non Koranic Islamic tradition teach regarding the death of Mary, the Mother of Jesus?  Is she presumed to have been buried or taken directly into heaven?

Edited by Cryptic - 06-Mar-2007 at 15:43
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 20:05
The whole 'Deconstructing the Jesus Myth' thing is getting very old. I don't see why they can't leave a subject 2,000 years dead alone. I don't even see how this subject has been edgy since Darwin postulated evolution.

Gotta admit though... I do love the capitalistic impulse to put pseudo-science on the air waves Thumbs%20Down
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 02:18
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

The whole 'Deconstructing the Jesus Myth' thing is getting very old. I don't see why they can't leave a subject 2,000 years dead alone. I don't even see how this subject has been edgy since Darwin postulated evolution.

Gotta admit though... I do love the capitalistic impulse to put pseudo-science on the air waves Thumbs%20Down

As long as money can be made off of the subject, it will never end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12