Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1898 and 1989, The Road to the Republic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1898 and 1989, The Road to the Republic
    Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 22:57
The thread about democracy and China reminds me of something: in a curious manner, 1989 reflected a lot of 1898...

I am currently re-watching "Towards the Republic," a tv series that was taken off broadcast three years ago by the CCTV because of it stirred debate about many controversial topics, amongst them the historical redefinition of Li Hongzhang and Yuan Shikai, the Sino-Japanese War, the Boxer Rebellion, and yes, the Hundred Days' Reform.

I am thankful of the producers having bravely created something that is at once thought provoking and sophisticated, elevating the quality of the series above the normal rubble.  It is a pity that the series is no longer shown, because in my humble view, every student of modern Chinese - no East Asian - history should see it.  From the Menji Reform to the Sino-Japanese War, from the Hundred Days' Reform to the Boxer Rebellion, from the westernization efforts to the struggle for a republic, from the Peking warlords to the Nationalist front, everything can be mirrored to issues that are ever prevalent today.

Listening to conversation in old chinese is like music to one's years, so much more intelligence and fluidity.  While re-watching the series, I am noticing more subtle contexts, things that are implied between the lines, things that make every character - Li Hongzhang, Zhang Zhidong, Kang Youwei, Liang Qichao, Sun Yat-Sen, Yuan Shikai - complex, realistic, and three dimensional.  From character study to dynamics between warring interest groups, from historical accuracy and cinematography, this is a jewel that should not be missed.

Li Hongzhang

Zhang Zhidong

Yuan Shikai

Kang Youwei

Sun Yat-Sen

Edited by poirot - 02-Mar-2007 at 18:13
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 18:08
For all interested, you can watch "Towards the Republic" via youtube, through the Douwei Channel.  This is legal folks.  I believe Douwei, as a private media company, signed an agreement with youtube to setup a channel to distribute its material.

Here is the 1st episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAdSFxSL-Xk

Notice how Li Hongzhang reacts to the various news as he eats with fork and knife - his subtle moves reveal his motives and suggest the true state of affairs.

Edited by poirot - 02-Mar-2007 at 18:15
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 22:54
Nice link. Thanks~

Join us.
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 01:42
Im not sure if "1989 reflected a lot of 1898..." as you say

I was in Beijing during 1989 incident, the city was paralyzed, it became so chaotic that such "democratic movement" had virtually became a riot.

Have you read Lee kuan yew's memoir? He has keen sight into the issue.

He did not compare 1989 incident to 1898 the way you did, but he actually compared Deng xiao ping's handle of 1989 incident to Gorbachev's handle of "Russia's road to democracy".

Deng was realist in puting down the movement because he was a seasoned leader, whereas Gorbachev was idealist because he had not experienced turbulence and difficulty of real revolution.

Which partly contributed to the disintegration of USSR.

Edited by The Charioteer - 03-Mar-2007 at 01:45
 Post Reply Post Reply