Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Writers from your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writers from your country
    Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 01:16
That was unfair of me. Let me re-state my meanings...

I beleive 'writer' and 'thinker' ought to be synonymous for the simple reason that the people broadcasting 'thought' had ought to be intellient people, which, up until half a century ago, meant 'writer' (if for the simple fact that the common people were illiterate). Nowawadays, though, I don't know if that's necessarily the case. But I believe that good writers are able to enlighten the 'literate' class (meaning; "people who bother to try"), and provide them with insights as to the human condition.

Back to the subject... Sherwood Anderson would be another great writer from America, along the same lines as William Faulkner.
Hell,
Cheers
kasper View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 01:19
I know this is all personal preferences, but I would hardly consider Poe to be one of the best American authors. I don't see how Poe could compare with Faulkner, Hemingway, Steinbeck, or Fitzgerald.

Personally, I think Poe is overrated.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 17:45
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

That was unfair of me. Let me re-state my meanings...

I beleive 'writer' and 'thinker' ought to be synonymous for the simple reason that the people broadcasting 'thought' had ought to be intellient people, which, up until half a century ago, meant 'writer' (if for the simple fact that the common people were illiterate). Nowawadays, though, I don't know if that's necessarily the case. But I believe that good writers are able to enlighten the 'literate' class (meaning; "people who bother to try"), and provide them with insights as to the human condition.

It was unfair indeed, mate Smile Keeping in mind that it was my humble opinion which I don't insist to be true. I am a big fan of Borges and statement that he was not a writer is not a disrespect to his work. What I mean is that his escellent ideas and thoughts were not expressed in the best way he could do this. His essays are not of easy reading. Following a frequent tendency to compare Latin American writers I may say that Cortazar and Marquez are "writers" whereas Borges was a "thinker". And all of them were genius people which every intelligent person should read.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 18:47
Erasmus.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 20:28
I actually prefere Narziss and Goldmund and the Prodigy to the Glass Bead Game but that's probably because they are 'easier' reads. Doblin should also take a bow, he is greatly overlooked - November 1918: A German Revolution is a masterpiece. English authors worth checking against the likes of Dickens - Gissing - The Nether World - a much more evocative picture of Victorian London poverty than Dickens ever managed and Patrick Hamilton, brilliant books about London in the 1930s.     

Edited by Bowker's cat - 08-Mar-2007 at 20:29
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 06:12
Anton Hansen Tammsaare (1878 - 1940) - "Truth and Justice" This 5 volume novel is unofficially admitted as "the Estonian novel"

Jaan Kross - he has been translated into English and German atleast so he must be easily accessible for ones interested. "The emperors madman" is one mentionable work.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12