Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Endings of Persian names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Endings of Persian names
    Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 08:02
In his work the Histories, Herodotus claims that all Persian names in his day ended in the letter "s". Some examples include Cyrus, Cambyses, Xerxes, Mardonius etc etc.

Was he correct?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 09:21
No.  But a lot of them did and the sound was not the same as the S sound.  It was 'SH', since this sound did not exist in Greek (and still doesn't) they substituted it with S. This is why Kourosh becomes Kuros (Cyrus), Dariyush - Dariyus etc.

Edited by Zagros - 03-Feb-2007 at 09:23
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 09:52
Originally posted by Zagros

No.  But a lot of them did and the sound was not the same as the S sound.  It was 'SH', since this sound did not exist in Greek (and still doesn't) they substituted it with S. This is why Kourosh becomes Kuros (Cyrus), Dariyush - Dariyus etc.

I believe it was Daryavosh (spelled Darayavahaush, Greek Dareos). There is a comedy by Aristophanes in which a Persian messenger actually tries to  speak Greek and substitutes almost every vowel with an -a-. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the play.

Edited by Lepidodendron - 03-Feb-2007 at 09:52
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 11:42

It is difficult to explain but he was certainly not correct.

Singular -a stem -u stem -i stem -n stem -h stem
Parsa (Persia) Darayatwahu (Darius) Frawarti (Phraortes) Xshayarshan (Xerxes) Ahuramazdah
nom. Parsah Darayatwahush Frawartish Xshayarsha Ahuramazdah
acc. Parsam Darayatwahum Frawartim Xshayarsham Ahuramazdam
gen. Parsahya Darayatwahush Frawartish Xshayarshaha Ahuramazdaha

There were also "dat., abl., inst., loc., voc., Singular/Dual/Plural, Masculine/Feminine/Neuter"

Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 12:17
O, that is really strange. I thought the name was spelled Darayavaush, which was pronounced Dareyavosh, along with Oramazda for Auramazda. Somewhere in a very grey past I tried to learn a bit of Ancient Persian, and those names served as pronunciation examples in my grammar. It may be that my memory is failing me. 

Just to make sure: I believe the phrase "I am Xerxes, king of kings", would run something like "Adam ahmi Xsheyarsha, xshayathiya xshayathiyanam."

By the way, it suddenly occurs to me that the last two words in reversed order would possibly render the modern form "shahanshah", "king of kings", in which -an- is a remnant of the plural genitive. Interesting. 

Edited by Lepidodendron - 03-Feb-2007 at 20:23
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 17:45
Thanks for clearing that up, I just completed reading the Histories and this was a little thing which stood out and needed proper clarification.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 20:59
Originally posted by Lepidodendron

By the way, it suddenly occurs to me that the last two words in reversed order would possibly render the modern form "shahanshah", "king of kings", in which -an- is a remnant of the plural genitive. Interesting. 

That is correct. The word Shah derives from Xshayathiya. Where the rest of that long word went i dont know LOL
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 23:10
Originally posted by Xshayathiya

That is correct. The word Shah derives from Xshayathiya. Where the rest of that long word went i dont know LOL

Well, xshay[athiy]n[am] xsh[yathiya] may render shahnshah, if there is a stress accent present. Non-stressed syllables tend to disappear in many languages.

Edited by Lepidodendron - 03-Feb-2007 at 23:21
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 09:05
"Xsh" has been replaced with "Sh" [Xshapa -> Shab (Night)] and "th" -> "h" [Mithra -> Mihr], so "Xshyathiya" was changed to just "Shah".
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 09:51
hasnt Shahanshah actually have the same meaning with "Khakhan" which is used by Turkic people?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 10:16
Shahanshah means king of kings.

Shah-han - kings
Shah - King
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 21:39
So Khakhan also means the king of kings.
It has two words in origin
Khan+Khan
Khan of Khan
Khankhan assumed to be minimized to Khakhan as a title.
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 14:45
As far as i know ; Shahan is another word in persian language =)

And , the suffices of Armenian surnames "-ian " comes from Iranian language .
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
 Post Reply Post Reply