Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Horses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horses
    Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 03:38
This thread is to talk about the development of horses, different horse breeds and how horses were used by different civilizations and influential throughout history.

Ok, to start with, I think horses are some of the most undercredited creatures in history. They were an important part of European warfare, of warfare on the steppes, of warfare in China and even in Japan (where the horses weren't as capable for battle). Often times, nations with the most dominant cavalry became the most dominant nations in the world.

But they were also important for other reasons. Before the invention of cars and the usage of carriages, horses were often the fastest mode of transportation. Native Americans of the Great Plains (Comanche, Sioux, etc.) also began to rely heavily on horses for hunting after the Spanish brought the beasts to America. Even today many people enjoy horseback riding. :)

Edited by Slick - 03-Feb-2007 at 03:40
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 08:15

In Usa, in one tomb before 1492, scientists found out the bones of horse, have you heard about this , can you give me more information about this

leung
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 10:06
I didn't see the recent film adaptation of Beowulf, but someone told me one interestingly realistic thing about it was that they had the people riding extremely small horses, as they would have at the time.
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 22:04
Yeah, horses in the past were smaller I suppose. It might have depended on the breed though.
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 23:13
There were horses in the Americas, even before the Spanish arrive. The peoples of the land ate themShockedConfused, and they were extinct and forgotten(have nothing to prove this, I just remember reading about it). Until the Spanish arrive and were though to be Quetzalcoatl, the long returned exiled god.

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 07-Feb-2007 at 23:17
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 07:59
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

There were horses in the Americas, even before the Spanish arrive. The peoples of the land ate themShockedConfused, and they were extinct and forgotten(have nothing to prove this, I just remember reading about it). Until the Spanish arrive and were though to be Quetzalcoatl, the long returned exiled god.

no I had a discussion of that the indians didn't thought they where gods

but how can arabian horses run so fast
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 09:50
Has anyone ever heard of Sable Island?  It's a small island off the Eastern coast of Canada and there is a small population of feral horses on it.  However they are not native:

The island is home to over 250 free-roaming feral horses which are protected by law from human interference. The best evidence for the origin of the horse population is that they are descended from horses confiscated from Acadians during the Great Expulsion and left on the island by Boston merchant Thomas Hancock, uncle of John Hancock.

In the past, excess horses have been rounded up and shipped off the island for use in coal mines on Cape Breton Island, or to be sold, but the Government gave full protection to the horse population in 1960, and they have been left alone ever since.

(from Wikipedia)
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:28
Originally posted by Top Gun

Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

no I had a discussion of that the indians didn't thought they where gods

but how can arabian horses run so fast
I didn't say the horses were gods, I said the Spanish were thought to be Quetzalcoatl.
and to ur second question, I would love to read the answer to.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:42
aricle about The turkoman horse also abit about the arabian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkoman_Horse
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:46

By the way, horses not only existed in the Americas. Horses' origin is the Americas! They migrated from the Western Hemisphere to Eurasia. When man came to the Americas, very unfortunately, the American horse become extinct. The Spaniards reintroduced the horse.

Now, for the myth of Quetzalcoatl, there are records that Moctezuma, the Aztec ruler, was very supersticious and believed that Cortes was a reencarnation of the God. However, reading the records of the Conquist, it is hard to believe that was a generalized idea at all. The impression I get is just that they saw the Spaniards like a dangerous bunch that carried dangerous technology, that's all.

In the case of the Incas, they didn't believed that either. The Inca had ordered to kill all Spaniards ... except the blacksmith!!! That show very clearly that the difference was only in technology, and the Natives knew it.

After all, lots of Spaniards died in those campaigns, and people don't usually kill Gods. LOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 08-Feb-2007 at 15:47
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:07
TY Pinguin for that info. I read about that too, but I failed to put Montezuma in it.Embarrassed
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 19:24
Originally posted by pinguin

By the way, horses not only existed in the Americas. Horses' origin is the Americas! They migrated from the Western Hemisphere to Eurasia. When man came to the Americas, very unfortunately, the American horse become extinct. The Spaniards reintroduced the horse.

Thanks for pointing this out in the forum. Its very ironic that the same horse Native Americans eradicated from the Americas was later used by the Spaniards as a shock weapon that helped put fear into the Aztecs.

Perhaps if the Aztecs did have the horse, the course of history would be completely different with European spread in the Americas being minimal or non-existent!

Edited by vulkan02 - 10-Feb-2007 at 19:26
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 21:27
Indeed. It is possible history had been different.

Remember that Spaniards tried to invade Japan, too, like they did with the Americas.... but there they received a kick at the back LOL

Japaneses had horses...

Pinguin

Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 15:02

Indeed. It is possible history had been different.

Remember that Spaniards tried to invade Japan, too, like they did with the Americas.... but there they received a kick at the back LOL

Japaneses had horses...

Pinguin

did they invade Japan Confused I thought they would never come there because everything was under portugese control
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 16:20
Spaniards had the Phillipines already.
Spaniards support for Asia came from Mexico.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 16:32
I just remember one thing about that

the japanese laught at them for having redhair & big noses

The japanese prefered the Dutch over the spanish because they weren't strict catholics who tried to convert them.

For some time the dutch were the only one who could dock in Japanese prots(western people)
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 18:40
Yes, The Dutch acted very civilized in Japan, while they commited theirs crimes in Africa and in the Americas. What a bunch of pretenders LOL
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 11:59
who rode the horse first?
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 19:47
Well it is believed that chariots were developed before people rode on horseback. At Sintashta in Central Asia they have found chariot burials from 6,500 years ago approximately.
The Sigyynae people of the Danube were noted for their breeding of horses. These are not believed to have been ridden, but used for chariots.
The Samarans of Eurasia (Steppes) were believed to have horses domesticated but not ridden at around the same time, as bones and frozen remains have been found.

People supposedly first begun to ride on horseback -on mass- with the onset of the iron age, where proper bits could be used to control the horses, and selective breeding/domestication allowed them to ride on the back. Despite this, I don't believe that there is any one people -as of yet- who were known to have first rode the horse.

Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 03:00

Yes, The Dutch acted very civilized in Japan, while they commited theirs crimes in Africa and in the Americas. What a bunch of pretenders LOL

yes they where sneaky traders
 Post Reply Post Reply