Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hobbit confirmed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hobbit confirmed?
    Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 09:26

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Scientific evidence supports the theory that a 18,000-year old "Hobbit" skeleton unearthed in Indonesia was a new species closely related to Homo sapiens.

Some scientists had theorized that the skeletal remains found on the Indonesian island of Flores in 2003 belonged to a pygmy or a microcephalic -- a human with an abormally small skull.

But researchers from Florida State University who examined a three-dimensional computer reconstruction of the small but well-formed brain of the hominid, "classified it with normal humans."

"We have answered the people who contend that the Hobbit is a microcephalic," said world-renowned paleoneurologist Dean Falk, who is also chairwoman of Florida State University's anthropology department, which conducted the research with Indonesia's Center for Archaeology along with other international partners.

Her team's study of both normal and microcephalic human brains is published in Monday's issue of Proceedings of the < ="yqin" ="http://yq.search.yahoo.com/search" method="post"> < name="p" value=""National Academy of Sciences"" =""> < name="sourceOrder" value="c1,i,yn,c3" =""> < name="c1" value="<p style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-weight:bold;font-size:13px;padding:0;margin-top:1em;margin-bottom:.5em;">National Academy of Sciences</p>" =""> < name="sourceURL" value="" =""> < name="fr" value="yq-news" =""> < name="context" value="Her team's study of both normal and microcephalic human brains is published in Monday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences." =""> National Academy of Sciences.

The computer model reproduced the surface of the brain, including its shape, grooves and vessels, revealing what Falk described as a "highly evolved brain."

The skeleton came to be known as "the Hobbit" after the diminuitive characters in J.R.R. Tolkien's classic "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

The brain of the Hobbit -- more accurately identified as "Homo Floresiensis" -- was compared to those of 10 normal humans and nine people suffering microcephaly, a virus which stunts the development of the brain.

The complete skeleton and skull unearthed in a cave on Flores measures 1.06 meters (3.6 feet), igniting a raging controversy among anthropologists, who until then had believed the extinction of the Neanderthal 30,000 years ago left Homo sapiens as the only surviving human species.

Archaeologists had found sophisticated tools and evidence of a fire near the remains of the three-foot-tall adult female with a brain roughly one-third the size of a contemporary human.

"People refused to believe that someone with that small a brain could make the tools. How could it be a sophisticated new species?" Falk said.

"It's the 64 thousand dollar question: Where did it come from?" she said. "Who did it descend from, who are its relatives, and what does it say about human evolution?" said Falk. "That's the real excitement about this discovery."

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 12:42
Wow, I like hearing news like this. That means there were two other human species living during our time and potentially three as there is evidence we ran into H.Erectus in Northern China I believe it's said.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 13:00
its a shame that such brilliant smart people are exstinct
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 18:29
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Wow, I like hearing news like this. That means there were two other human species living during our time and potentially three as there is evidence we ran into H.Erectus in Northern China I believe it's said.

Actually that sounds very plausible. 

Hm, just a thought which suddenly occurred to me... Has it ever been a subject of research whether the massive eruption of Mt. Toba around 75.000 years ago could have paved the way for H. sapiens 'out of Africa' by weakening the presence of H. erectus in Southern Asia, which was relatively close to the eruption and whose environment might have been more strongly affected by it?
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 10:18
Toba weakened the presence of hominids almost everywhere and may have resulted in killing of the many different subspecies living at the time resulting in a supposed bottleneck of around 10,000 individuals in the whole planet. Most of the animals in South Asia were killed off including any humanoids living there. Its effect was drastic on life even in farther lands such as India.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 17:15
Originally posted by Lepidodendron

Actually that sounds very plausible. 

Hm, just a thought which suddenly occurred to me... Has it ever been a subject of research whether the massive eruption of Mt. Toba around 75.000 years ago could have paved the way for H. sapiens 'out of Africa' by weakening the presence of H. erectus in Southern Asia, which was relatively close to the eruption and whose environment might have been more strongly affected by it?

The Bradshaw Foundation is working on that sort of idea right now.

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/notafrica.html

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 21:05
i remember that there were some hobbits unearthed in britain a couple years back
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 10:29
I can't surprise about it, the human (presapiens) evolution of Asia is a total mistery, since 1'6 millions year Homo Erectus developed a lot of variants and sure new types of human only vaguely investigated by the archeologist. Asian prehistory is a wonderful treasure for the future.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:41
Yay! Hobbits!Thumbs%20Up

Do you think they lived in a cave, or they actually dig their shelter under the hill... as shown in Tolkien's tales?

Join us.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 17:24

This is amazing...
Do you have a link for the Homo Erectus evidence? 

So right now we have  on earth at the same time...
A. Homo Sapiens
B. Homo Neanderthalis
C. The Hobbits
D. Homo Erectus  (maybe)
Is this right?

With the Hobbits and Neanderthals existing in relatively (by geologic time) recent past.   I wonder if undiscovered Erectus and Hobbits gave rise to the global tales of Hairy men and little people.   

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Feb-2007 at 17:25
 Post Reply Post Reply