Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

British army bigots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British army bigots
    Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:09

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4143811.stm

I actually thought this was funny, th eold British army documents warn against admitting people of certain ethnicities, the best was the "swarthy Frenchman" one, lol, swarthy....

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:23
He.
It makes you wonder though, that the army could do stuff without ever having to fill the government in on the details. I wonder how much liberty they still have in that department.

Gotto love the language though, 'coloured community', like that one factor alone united Punjabi Sikhs, Malay muslims and Jamaican Christians.....
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:26
I think militaries in general have bigot problems, its the kind of people attracted to strict hierchies and inability to question (or often reason).  Right now the US army has its own dont ask dont tell BS that persoanlly I like because if theres ever a draft I can just tell them I am gay and get out of it, but when it comes to race relations the US army does tend to be ahead of the rest of america for example Trumans desegregating the military in ..48 I think
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:32
The British army has traditionaly had problems with race relations, though thats supposed to have gotten considerably better in the 1990s, only now there are noew problems, namely of brutality towards new recruits.
The other branches of the armed serveces seem to suffer the opposite problem, the Royal Navy has so far paid for a sex change, and provided space for a 'satanist' to practice his religion on board a warship
Arrrgh!!"
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 13:53
American troops were becoming less segregated by WWII, however, it wasn't until the Korean Conflict when total integration began.  The processs wasn't complete until the early 1960's however.  The Israeli military is completely integrated, including women in every comabt occupation.  America has yet to allow women into many combat roles...
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 18:16
navies are differnet from armies, navies also tend to be...how shall I say, not quite heterosexual.  Its not new either, read Robinson Crusoe...
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply