Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Finnish ,the Viking and the Scandinavian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Finnish ,the Viking and the Scandinavian
    Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 23:05
I have a question to ask ,are the Finnish people can consider themself a Viking people during the Viking age and are the Scandinavian is the sucessor of the Viking people today,are Finland is part of Scandinavian nation today ,thank you  .
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 04:05
Scandinavia = Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Scandinavians are the successors of vikings.

I don't know about Finland though.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 04:26
You forgot Iceland! Watch out for Ullrich... Tongue

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 04:48

Scandinavia is not a nation as Rodimus writes, but is a reference to the Scandinavian penninsula or the three countries that are referred to as the Scandinavian countries, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
After establishment of the Nordic Council some 50 years ago, a new term arose, The Nordic Countries - which also includes Iceland and Finland.

To the question about Vikings. They came from the three Scandinavian countries.
Of course they made an certain influence in Finland, and that is a topic very much overlooked. There is a great article about Finns and Vikings on AE's main site HERE.    

~ Northman

John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 11:13
Somewhere I've read interesting article about Vikings.  I don't remember where, but it was russian historian. Idea was that Viking(Varjags in russian) were not only Scandinavians, but also sailing  people from the coast of the Baltic sea" Scandinavians, Curonians, Finns, some slav tribes, etc. Generally it was not ethnical organizations, but companies/unions of different tribes that were sailing over sea fir "luck". Of Course, Scandinavians were the lagest part of them.  I think it sounds realistic ...

Edited by John Lenon - 24-Jan-2007 at 11:15
 Post Reply Post Reply