Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the people of the Kingdom of Strathclyde?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the people of the Kingdom of Strathclyde?
    Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 10:30
During my studies I have recently come across the Early Medieval kingdom of Strathclyde. It was situated more or less between Northumbria and Scotland, against the western coast. In the various sources, the people of Strathclyde are described both as 'the Strathclyde Welsh' and 'Britons'. This seems to point to a celtic origin, But the area is clearly considered as part of England rather than a seperate area like Wales and Schotland.

Who knows more about these people? Who were they connected to, what kind of language did they speak? Were they Celtic and if so, why are they considered more 'English' than other celts?

Edited by Aelfgifu - 08-Jan-2007 at 11:05

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 12:28
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 01:13
The kingdom is also discussed in P.H. Blair's An Introduction to Anglo-Saxon England. Specifically take not of pages 39-40, 81, 83, and 103. Also I suggest looking at Roman Britian and Early England: 55 B.C. - 871 A.D. by Peter H. Blair - see pages 153, 190, and 199.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 03:26

You can also try the following websites:

Kingdoms of British Celts

Kings of Strathclyde

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
 Post Reply Post Reply