Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Acheloi, 917

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SOKON MEJIA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SOKON   MEJIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Acheloi, 917
    Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 20:45
What do you know about this battle some say this is the largest battle in the middle ages 
There are 70,000 bulgarians against the sams number  visantians! 
If you are interested i will gladly give you information!

Edited by rider - 02-Jan-2007 at 13:13
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 21:40
Originally posted by SOKON MEJIA

WHAT   do  you  know  about  this   battle   some  say  this  is  the  largest  battle   in  the  middle  ages 
There are  70  000  bulgarians  against  the  sams  number   visantians! 
IF  you  are  interested  i  will  gladly  give  you  information!

Please do, I've never heard of it before but it sounds interesting. This deed resonates of Krum; are you refering to the battle that resulted in the skull of Emperor Nikephorous being turned into Krum's drinking cup?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 23:25
I guess he is referring to the battle of Anchialus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Anchialus.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 13:13
Yes,he meant the battle of Anchialus but we bulgarian call it the battle of Acheloi,because there is another battle of Anchialus in 708 between Tervel and Justinian II.This battle in 917 was won by bulgarians led by Simeon.Many times bulgarian historians call it the battle of the century,because of the enormous forces of both sides and the huge losses of Byzantine Empire.

Edited by Krum - 01-Jan-2007 at 13:13
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
ManOwaRadO View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ManOwaRadO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 12:50
Bulgarians are with red colour. In the south near to the battle field today is the town - Burgas.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 13:14
From now on, please do not post with more than one 'space' between words, Sokon Mejia.
ManOwaRadO View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ManOwaRadO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 13:47

The mobilization in Byzantium for this war is so high that the garrisons from Asia were throw across the sea in Europe on the Balkans. The byzantium army were over 80 000 and bigger than bulgarian.

The byzantium army is grouping in a 1 centre and 2 wings. Tzar Simeon personally guides the bulgarian armies on a white horse which is killed with a spear in the hotest point of the battle when Simeon strikes left enemie's flank and press it to the sea. The battle line of byzantians is bend under his pressure and the soldiers are flee in disorder. They were followed and murdered to the walls of their capital.

Edited by ManOwaRadO - 02-Jan-2007 at 13:49
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 18:42
Ah, yes, Anchialus, one of the biggest Byzantine defeats ever...no wonder I haven't "heard" about it LOL..just kiddin'.
Samouil was admitted to Constantinople as a result and christened Ceasar; he was also betrothed to Zoe but the marriage never happened.  This is the closest that Samouil ever got to realizing his dream of becoming Emperor.

" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 18:45
Originally posted by konstantinius

Ah, yes, Anchialus, one of the biggest Byzantine defeats ever...no wonder I haven't "heard" about it ..just kiddin'.Samouil was admitted to Constantinople as a result and christened Ceasar; he was also betrothed to Zoe but the marriage never happened. This is the closest that Samouil ever got to realizing his dream of becoming Emperor.

Simeon(893-927),not Samuil(997-1014).

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 21:55
An awesome, second historical f..k up in arow, on the same thread nevertheless. Eagerly awaiting J. Fine's book (ordered on Amazon yesterday) to look up Bulgarian chronology. Seems like a need a bit of schooling LOL 
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 07:21
The truth is that i don't have much info about this battle...
Did the Bulgarians had a hidden force northenly of the left byzantine wing? Because, as i can see ,the "hidden ace of spade" for the Bulgars was this force which splitted the byzantine army in two fronts :
The first chased the bulgarian forces which attacked the Byz.camp and its defenders .
The other byz. soldiers ( probably lost  the main battle due to this fact) fleeted nothernly to mesimvria(?), chased by the bulgarians.

I wonder what kind of forces were used by the byzazntines in this battle...
Their typical formation was 3 lines( the first two cavalry and the last infantry and i'm pretty sure that it was a standart during 10-12 centuries) but it was almost useless in the bulgarian mountainous landscape,especially in offensive wars, were the byz.army suffered looses even before the battle since bulgarians were always taking advantage of their landscape and created ambushes in the few passes.

Obviously the battle of anchialos took place in plain,many of the troops seems to be transfered by sea so , it was one more embarrashing defeat for the byzantines without an excuseErmm...

Post Reply Post Reply