Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great: West instead of East

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great: West instead of East
    Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 04:52

Newbie here, I have a question, if Alexander the Great went west instead of east against the Persians, how well do you think his armies would do against against the Romans pre Marius armies, early Carthage, Latin people, Samnites, Ligurians, Gauls, Iberians, Numidians, Geremans, etc. Thanks for any response.

Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 11:19

Well, I have heard, though i can't say from where, that after conquering and consolidating the east, Alexander had intended to go west, to conquer carthage and sicily.

My opinion: I think the macedonian army would have been at least if not more successful in the west than in the east. The sicilians and carthagainians (and pre-marian romans) both used the phalanx style of warfare, but Alexanders' phalanxes were undoubtaly better. Against the Gauls or Celtiberians in the wilderness of western Europe the classic greek phalanx may not have performed as well, however, in this age, Alexanders hopolites were still more than a match for the primitive tribal peoples, even if they couldnt hold to a phalanx formation.

However, holding onto conquered Gaul for instance may have proved much more difficult than holding onto the Fallen Persian Empire, whose head only had to be removed for the whole state to fail.

"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 23:37

Yeah Ive been reading about Roman history lately and visited other history forums and they said that it was Julius Caesars tactical strategy, loyalty from his men, and the infighting going on among Gallic tribes was he able to conquer Gaul and bring them to Roman hegemony. They said Gaul was no easy task. BTW, if there are mods here, you can move this to "historical amusement" thread. Sorry, Im new here and my thread seems like it should go there for "what if" scenario.

J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 16:54
Actually, during the 330s B.C.E. the Romans did not use phalanx formations, and instead used maniple formations.  In the rought features of central Italy where Alexander would have encountered the Volcii, Sabines and the Romans the maniple formations, and even the quasi-maniple formations of the Sabines and Volcii would have had an advantage over Alexander's phalanx since elevated ground tends to break up the phalanx, as happened when the Romans fought in the First, Second and Third Macedonian Wars.
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 19:37

I think also that the uneven terrain of Italy would not have accomodated the Phalanx very well.  Actually, I think Bactria would have been much worse in that respect, but what resistance could there have been there? when Alexander arrived

But it is very difficult to imagine Alexander going West instead, since it would be contrary to all of his goals and aspirations. 

Of course, Alexander's army was not designed to fight Gauls and Italians, and im sure if he had directed his attention elsewhere he could have adapted to any differences, though it was his father who really reformed the Macedonian army in the first place.

I don't think he would have been less successful on the battle field if he had indeed gone in the direction of western Europe, though troop morale may have been lower.

Carthage would, however, be a major problem and disrupt Macedonian supply lines and communications with their navy. 

Edited by Faran
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 21:43

Alexander's relative, Alexander I, the Molossian King of Epirus enjoyed great success using his 'Macedonian' styled army in Italy during the 330s until he was assasinated.

Many would be aware of his quote (obviously, I'm paraphrasing)that while he fought men, his nephew fought women (the Persians).

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 14:39
And Pyrrhus did a great deal with the Phalanx in Italy as well, however, those battles were centered in Magna Graecia, or southern Italy, where Italy forms into a coastal plain.  For a full out conquest of Italy Alexander would have had to venture into the Appenines, where he would have to fight the Romans in drawn out battles, since the Romans are famous for loosing over a hundred thousand men in several battles and then come out with another eighty thousand the next year.
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 21:53

Originally posted by DuxPimpJuice

And Pyrrhus did a great deal with the Phalanx in Italy as well

And could've done much more had he not been so sloppy a tactician during his Italian camapign.

Aristoteles View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Aristoteles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 06:14

On the topic: I believe Alexander had layed down plans - he would conquer the Arabic tribes and then move on to the West, to the Italian peninsula and Carthage. He would steamroll Italy much in the same way he did in the East - his phalangites were more than accustomed to fighting guerilla warfare (see Bactria, Sogdiana etc.) and in pitched battles no army was a match for them and their leaders genius.

On Lannes. Pyrrhos was a sloppy tactician? I believe he trashed the Roman army (and the Carthagenians) in each and every encounter they had - but unlike his relative Alexandros the Great, he wasn't a genius tactician (visible especially in his inability to preserve his core army, thous suffering substantial losses in each battle) and lacked especially in political aspects (his rough ways have intimidated the Greeks of Italy, those who brought him in and financed him in the first place) and lacking support and ways to replenish his troops (half of his starting troops were a "loan" from the King of Macedonia, for instance) he had to withdraw Italy.

But I wouldn't call him "sloppy". He was a very good tactician, albeit not a great strategist (again, unlike Alexandros).

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 14:58

Originally posted by Aristoteles

On Lannes. Pyrrhos was a sloppy tactician?

Indeed he was.  I'll give you a few examples of his tactical ability(or rather, lack thereof), starting at Heraclea.  To begin with, Pyrrhos waited far too long to deploy his troops along the Siris, causing him to withdraw to a position more favorable to the Romans.  Pyrrhos then proceeded to lead a miserably timed 3, 000 horse cavalry charge that was repulsed by Roman allied cavalry.  Next, Pyrrhos ordered his phalangites to attack, which would indeed have led to their encirclement had Pyrrhos' elephants not scared the Roman cavalry.  What was tactically impressive about this battle?  In the end, it was only won becuase the flanking Roman horses got sacred of the elephants.  And then at Asculum, Pyrrhos took far too long to move to suitable ground, forcing another indecisive battle that was only taking away his able troops and officers. And then Beneventum...well, Pyrrhos decided to try a night attack, which were known to have an extremely high failure rate.  The day was decided when Pyrrhos one trump card (his elephants) were frightened by the Romans, and turned on Pyrrhos' own troops.

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 19:12
i think it would have been more difficult had he gone west.  the conquering and battles would have certainly been easier, but it would have been impossible to consolidate his lands like he did in the east.  all Alexander basically did was conquer the Persian empire, and extended the borders slightly.  the people had lived under an empire for quite some time, and the basic infastructure for maintaining an empire were already in place.  alexander just replaced the persians as the leader of this land.

however, if he had gone west, he would have had to fight numerous tribes and smaller kingdoms.  while the conquering would not be difficult, establishing effective rule would be close to impossible.  the "barbarian" people could not easily be brought under his rule, and he would have had to fight many more wars with the many people.  however, maybe if he had gone west he wouldnt have caught his illness and died, so he might have had a lot longer to do what he had to do!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 16:31
Why would Alexander go West when the wealth was in the East? How was he to gain glory in conquering North Africa, Italia, Iberia and Cetic lands? Also, the direction of the Aegean world faced East, not West.
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 20:12
Originally posted by Connecticut Yankee

Why would Alexander go West when the wealth was in the East? How was he to gain glory in conquering North Africa, Italia, Iberia and Cetic lands? Also, the direction of the Aegean world faced East, not West.

Well, this is a what if question, conjured on stipulation.  But, showing from Celtic and early Latin jewelry the west was quite wealthy, Alexander just didn't know much about it... but, he could have gone west on a mere whim?  Again, as was stated above (I believe 1st or 2nd reply), it's said that Alexander did plan on campaigns west - moving into the Arabian Peninsula, then skimming North Africa, and then going somewhere from there.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 07:08
Moreover he couldn't go west, leaving the powerfull Persian empire on his backyard!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 10:01

as far as i know he was planning to conquer Arabia and move to Europe but he died before completing his dreams

so going west was his next plan and it  would be stupid to go west first and leave the east which contain the largest empire in the world to take Greece while he is wondering in the west.

i think he was cursed because he thought of conquering Arabia

Post Reply Post Reply