Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewpaper reports from 1914

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newpaper reports from 1914
    Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 08:20
I was browsing the net, and came accross two interesting newspaper reports from 1914, which report on how the Armenian population collaborated with the Russian army, in what Turks believe was the invasion of their country.

Fort Wayne Journal Gazette 1914-11-13

ARMENIANS ACTIVE IN EUROPEAN WAR PETROGRAD (Via London) Nov.13 2:50 pm - Reports reaching the Russian capital from the Turkish border attach increasing importance to the part the Armenians are playing in the Russian Turkish war.

In several towns occupied by the Russians, the Armenian students have shown themselves ready to join the invading army, and explained that they had prepared themselves for the Russian approach by constant drilling and by gathering arms secretly. All along the line of march, according to these dispatches, the Armenian peasants are receiving Russian troops with enthusiasm and giving them provisions freely.

An Armenian newspaper, referring to this crisis in the history of Armenia, published the following:

The long anticipated day of deliverance for the Turkish-Armenians is at hand, and the Armenians are prepared for any sacrilege made necessary by the performance of their manifest duty.

From this border country there has come to Petrograd further reports of armed conflicts from the refusal of Armenians to become Turkish conscripts and surrender their arms. It is now rumored that the important city of Van is today besieged by Armenian guerrilla bands in great force. In Feituen these bands is said to exceed 20,000 in number and they are reported to have defeated all Turkish troops sent against them.

Washington Post 1914-11-13

Armenians join Russians and 20,000 scatter Turks near Feitun

Edited by bg_turk - 02-Dec-2006 at 08:40
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 14:48
This topic will inevitably lead to the blacklisted topic of the Armenian Genocide. And if it won't, let me make it so: bg_turk do you think, then, that the Genocide was justified so Turkey could get "even" for the invasion?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 21:18
Okay, how about this for the Armenian question, the Armenians rebelled, the Turks went overboard in surpressing it? End of story? And for now.

Oh Komnenos, Komneno's, where art thou Komneno's.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:20
Originally posted by konstantinius

This topic will inevitably lead to the blacklisted topic of the Armenian Genocide. And if it won't, let me make it so: bg_turk do you think, then, that the Genocide was justified so Turkey could get "even" for the invasion?

Of course the killing of innocent people, whether Turkish or Armenian, whether recognized as genocide or not, is never justified. Your question is thus rhetorical.

The more interesting question that I would ask in this thread is whether  and to what extent Armenians collaborated with the Russian invadors, and whether this is what provoked the Turkish retaliation?

I think the two newspaper articles above illustrate quite clearly that the great majority of Armenians did indeed side with the Russians and fought the Turks, something that some forumers have denied in the past. The articles provide a context for the events and clarify what provoked the Turkish retaliation. The motive for the what its proponents refer to as an Armenian Genocide, has not so far been satisfactorily explained by them.

Edited by bg_turk - 04-Dec-2006 at 23:37
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:49
Originally posted by konstantinius

I suspect that I may disagree vehemently with bg_turk on the definition of this particular issue (of course I may be wrong). Still, I must say that I have never known him to support genocide. Furthermore, I believe that he generally attempts to examine controversial issues with a greater awareness of, and guard against, his own intrinsic biases than many of us exhibit. I do not believe that he would ever try to rationalize genocide.

-Akolouthos
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 00:40
Originally posted by bg_turk

In several towns occupied by the Russians, the Armenian students have shown themselves ready to join the invading army, and explained that they had prepared themselves for the Russian approach by constant drilling and by gathering arms secretly. All along the line of march, according to these dispatches, the Armenian peasants are receiving Russian troops with enthusiasm and giving them provisions freely.

Notice how it says in several towns captured by the Russians...not every town. Also, no one has said there wasn'd a minimal colloboration with the Russians...in fact I and others have stated that that type of colloboration is normal when a nation has been occupied, there always are rebels in an occupied territory.

It is no different from Ukrainians siding with Germans during WWII...

With respect to the farmers...they can either give up shelter and food willingly...or it can be forced upon them. The Russian soldiers were no angels.

Also, dont you find it conspicuous that the article is from Petrograd and could be a propaganda ploy?

Also, if there really was such a strong Armenian force at Van...what happened to it?

I have access to New York Times archives dating back to 1867 and I cant find anything on the 20,000 Armenian army...

Also, why does the article keep mentioning Turkish-Armenia...I thought there was no Turkey back then

I will dwelve deeper into the articles; but now I have a research paper to attend to...sadly its 4 AM here.

Edited by mamikon - 05-Dec-2006 at 00:48
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 01:47
Originally posted by bg_turk

I was browsing the net, and came accross two interesting newspaper reports from 1914, which report on how the Armenian population collaborated with the Russian army, in what Turks believe was the invasion of their country.

funny that. I also just happend to come across some interesting newspaper articles while browsing the net!

No why is it that armenians or any one else cant talk about this part of history their way, but others can?

Edited by Leonidas - 05-Dec-2006 at 01:56
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 02:08
err, I see how this articles are neutral.

Specialy, when they are using Lord bryce.

It is also interesting, morgenthau said that "If they are good enough fight and die for us, when we need their help so sorely, are they not enough to be given some crumbs from our plenty?"

I have not good english, but I think, Morgenthau(Ambassor of USA) was talking about their allies, and Infact he is saying, armenians fought for USA.(Enemy of Ottoman.)

So It looks like, what Bg said is true, armenains worked for enemy.

Thanks for this research leonidas.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 05:17
Did anybody actually read that piece of classic war-time propoganda just posted by Leonadis. War-time propoganda is an important part of war, however, it has very little to do with reality. Its purpose is to rally up support and unify the masses with fear and hatred of the enemy.

Now, take a look at that article.

Two hundred and fifty thousand Christian Armenian woman enslaved in Turkish harem's...

Orphaned by the UNSPEAKABLE Turks   

If they were good enough to fight and die for us..(what a suprise, I thought they didn't even raise a finger)

Agents of the Turk officiers picked the best woman for their harem's

Are we to take this seriously? the "unseakable" Turk, Turk's having nothing better to do then rounding up populations just to choose the best woman, forgetting that Turks were actually fighting multiple wars at the same time.

The reality is, both Armenians and Turks revieved their share of massacre's during WW1, denying either of them won't solve anything, trying to exagerate one side into being a genocide and the other as not existing doesn't help matter's either.

It's well known that Armenians believing in the ideals of "Greater Armenia" seeing their chance in the crumbling Ottoman Empire tried to grab it, they were armed, had trained fighting forces and were backed up by super-powers. Why do some try to hide this I don;t know.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 06:46
Originally posted by Leonidas

No why is it that armenians or any one else cant talk about this part of history their way, but others can?

Interesting article.Note, how the articles never use the word genocide. The Armenian massacres were never called genocide then and for the 30 years that immediately followed them. Using the word genocide for something that at the time was not in my opinion constitutes an instance of anachronism, but this is the subject of another discussion.

The last article touches upon the Ottoman excesses in Trabzon. The Ottomans were particularly nervous about the city, because it was a strategic city that Russians would have needed to capture to ensure their domination on the Black See. Reports such as the above served to prepare the public opinion for the war against the Turks and was used by the Russians as a justification for their invasion of Turkey.

The Russian army aided by Armenian rebells reached the city of Trabzon a few months later on 4th March 1916. The city fell on the 18th April 1916. Russians and revenge seeking Armenians did not spare any of the Moslems that were stupid enough to not have fled. The city remained under joint Russo-Armenian control until 24th April 1918, when it was recaptured by the Turkish nationalists.

Edited by bg_turk - 05-Dec-2006 at 07:03
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 07:18
Why bother trying to bring up a banned topic?
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 07:20
Just a quick note. It was not only the Armenians that were massacred . There were 750000 or so Assyrian victims in that genoside (or what ever it is called). Many Assyrians had to leave their homeland (present day northern-Iraq, northwest-Iran) in order to survive. Many of them fled to eastern Europe. In fact many Assyrians that live in Iran or Iraq now are the descendants of the ones who fled to Europe at the time of the genocide and later came back. My Assyrian neighbour's family was one of the ones who returned. He had distant families all over eastern Europe who had not come back and whom he had never met. This fact should not be forgotten.

Edited by omshanti - 05-Dec-2006 at 14:19
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 07:45

dont forget 1.000.000 greek and 500.000 pontus, let be serious.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 07:54
Let us not forget also the genocide against the Kurds as well. The Kurdish people were the first victim of weapons of mass destructions in 1919. 

In this book, Deterring Democracy, Noam Chomsky describes British rule in Iraqi Kurdistan as follows:

As Secretary of State at the War Office in 1919, Churchill was approached by the RAF Middle East Command for permission to use chemical weapons against recalcitrant Arabs as experiment. Churchill authorized the experiment, dismissing objections: I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilized tribes. It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gases; gases can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected. Churchill added: we cannot in any circumstances acquiesce in the non utilization of any weapons which are available to procure a speedy termination of the disorder which prevails on the frontier.' Chemical weapons were merely the application of Western science to modern warfare. Churchill was in favour of using air power and poison gas against uncivilized tribes and recalcitrant Arabs i.e. Kurds and Afghans.

God knows how many died.

Edited by bg_turk - 05-Dec-2006 at 07:55
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 06:32
Blacklisted TOPIC!

The next time I see one of these will lead to an immediate banning!
 Post Reply Post Reply