Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The many faces in Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The many faces in Turkey
    Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 08:26
Shinai, they live in social units called Obalar and they call this tent Oba, Oba is a pre-Islamic terminology but they still keep it.

Their tents are well known, they actually weave and sell them to the other tribes in Middle-East.    

Yoruk's are Oghuz Turkmen's but the Turkmen's tent's are Yurt's.

Turkmen Yurt in Ankara

A Feast in a Yurt in Kirgizistan

Now you can enjoy luxury "Yurt" holidays

Turkmen Yurt's are made up of 99 re-inforcements (the supports/wooden beams that are constructed inside and for the room). They are an ancient Turkic tradition and have been influential in architecture when Turkmens who became sedentary settled. In Ottoman architecture you can see their influence alot, the Topkapi Palace has many Tent and Tent inspired pavillions, other buildings, mausaleums and summer palaces also have this influence.

After the Seige of Vienna, the Ottoman's left a Tent city, the local's were amazed by it, it was very well ordered, they had fountains, baths, garden's, trip-wires and the tent's of the commanders were very grand. It soon became very fahsionable to build "Pavillions" in Europe and have Tent style buildings and Tent's in courtly homes and Palace;s.

Shinai I'm not an expert on "Yoruk's" but in Kasgarli Mahmud's explanation of 24 Oghuz tribes which made up the Oghuz, there is the "Yuregir", if Yoruk derives from Yuregir maybe this is who they are?

This is their Tamga

This is the Avsar Tamga you can see it in their famous carpet designs aswell.

The Kayi Tamga

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 11:23

Thanks budy, I will try to contact with my friend, who is a Turkologist and  find out more about "Yuregir" tribe. They have a cool Tmga too.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 11:44
Originally posted by shinai

I will try to contact with my friend who is a Turkologist and find out more about "Yuregir" tribe. 

Bulldog is the best Turkologist. Wink

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 19:20
      I wish, I've still got lot's to learn.

But you my friend are a Hellenic source of knowledge, keep up the good work

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 10:37
Bulldog I appreciate your knowledge, budy.
Gkhan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Gkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 13:14
Altought it is easy to find yoruks in Anatolia.Many of them are settled and now living in cities or villages
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456