Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terminology for heraldic violations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terminology for heraldic violations?
    Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 03:12
Hm. This may sound like a stupid question, but what the hell.

Does anybody here know whether there is a name for the crime of falsely assuming another person's or another family's armorial bearings? If so, then what is it?

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by Hyarmendacil - 31-Oct-2006 at 03:13
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 15:31
Are you talking of today or of the Medieval traditions?

If of today, then I suspect such punishments only availiable in a country where there is a class of nobility, although it is 'stealing identity'... can't tell actually.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 01:02
Well, I'm asking about the medieval name of the offense. Today it would clearly fall under the umbrella of "impersonation" or "identity theft," but I don't know what it was called in medieval times--or whether it had an official name at all.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:30
In the end of 16th and begining of 17th century one polish noble named Valerian Nekandy Trepka wrote the book which is called "Liber Chamorum" but in fact its title was "Liber generationis plebeanorum".

In this book he was describing the famillies and men who were pretending to be nobles but really were peasants, burguois, jews, germans or any other members of lower classes not good enough to be the nobles of Polish-Lithuanian Commonweatlh. Affcourse the work of Trepka was very biased because between those false nobles he included all his personal enemies and enemies of his familly and clan. During his life he didnt dare to publish it as it would be a suicide (how many duels can one win or survive and he described thousands of people as false nobles). But the book was published after his death and made great career in Poland.

Well, i can say that Valerian (pol. Walerian) Trepka was the most famous detective in Poland who dedicated his life for hounting on heraldic criminals :)

Edited by Mosquito - 01-Nov-2006 at 03:33
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:05
You seem to have found a question that nobody here can answer.

Quite an achievment in this forum. SmileClap
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 09:17
Actually, I have a feeling that it was called "usurpation," but I don't have any documents or second opinions to back it up.

You can probably tell that I'm feeling very, very stupid. It's worse than not knowing any possibilities for the name at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply